Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please help me correct the following paragraph. Thanks!
Daisy L. Hung, Director of the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at Central University, shared her astonishing experience which she visited an elementary school. In the classroom, she saw a girl pointing at the fruit on the table and saying, “My mom said those small size tangerines were not tasty, so they were for the Filipino caretakers.” Professor Hung was very astonished at the little girl’s remarks. She stripped a small citrus on the spot and shared one half for each with the girl. “You see, it’s sweet and juicy,” Hung said.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please help me correct the following paragraph. Thanks!
Daisy L. Hung, Director of the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at Central University, shared her astonishing experience, in which she visited an elementary school. In the classroom, she saw a girl pointing at the fruit on the table and saying, “My mom said those small size tangerines were not tasty, so they were for the Filipino caretakers.” Professor Hung was very astonished at the little girl’s remarks. She stripped a small citrus on the spot and shared one half for each with the girl. “You see, it’s sweet and juicy,” Hung said.
It's mostly OK. What's the astonishment all about?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only thing I find slightly odd is saying "She stripped a small citrus". I would have said "She peeled one of the small citrus fruit ...". I've never heard of citrus fruits just being referred to as "citrus".

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The teacher was astonished at the girl's differential treatment to the Filipino caretakers.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The teacher was astonished at the girl's differential treatment to the Filipino caretakers.
That would have been my last guess. Maybe you should make it clearer.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd be astonished too. "This is crappy food. The wretched people eat it. Not important people like us." That's exactly how I understood it. However, by showing her the fruit actually was good enough to eat, the poor workers probably won't get them any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.