Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear teachers,

please, have a look at this sentence:

The lack of attention to this question leads to dire consequences - a website, being infected with malicious software, whether stops functioning at all or starts distributing malware to its visitors.

"The (should I use the defenite article here?) lack of attention to this question leads to dire consequences (does it sound English "dire consequences") - a website, being infected with malicious software(Is it ok to put additional information about a website in this part of the sentence?), whether stops functioning at all or starts distributing malware to its visitors." (Did I use "whether ... or" correctly?)

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Dear teachers,

please, have a look at this sentence:

The lack of attention to this question leads to dire consequences - a website, being infected with malicious software, whether stops functioning at all or starts distributing malware to its visitors.

"The 1 (should I use the defenite article here?) lack of attention to this question leads to dire consequences 2 (does it sound English "dire consequences") - a website, being infected with malicious software 3 (Is it ok to put additional information about a website in this part of the sentence?), whether it stops functioning at all or starts distributing malware to its visitors." 4 (Did I use "whether ... or" correctly?)

Thank you!

I numbered your questions above
  1. It depends on the previous sentences. Probably? I can't be sure though.
  2. "Dire consequences" is perfect
  3. Yes, this is nice.
  4. Not exactly (please note that you also need a subject if you have a verb in a "whether" clause). I would use "either ... or ..." in this sentence.

The "whether" and "either" clauses are slightly different.
  • Our subject either does action A or does action B. (In the evenings I either watch TV or read a book.)
  • Our subject will do action C whether condition X or condition Y. (I'll go cycling tomorrow whether it's sunny or it's raining.)
  • Our subject will be in condition Z whether it does action D or action E. (I'll have a good time whether I see a film or go to a concert.)

Solver

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you! Yes, I need "either ... or" instead of "whether .... or" - I mixed them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.