Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Which of the following make sense?

1. Usually, the application should be submitted not less than 10 days before the lecture day.
2. Usually, the application should be submitted at least, no less than 10 days before the lecture day.

(This is a situation where the lecture date has not been decided yet but you want to explain the basic rules.
If there will be a lecture on April 20, you want people to submit the applicatioin by April 10.)

I guess 2 is incorrect but I'm not sure about the reason. (2 was written by someone else.) Is that incorrect because using both "at least" and "no less than" is redundant or because it should be "not less than" instead of "no less than" here?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

1. Usually, the application should be submitted not less than 10 days before the lecture day.
2. Usually, the application should be submitted at least, no less than 10 days before the lecture day.

(This is a situation where the lecture date has not been decided yet but you want to explain the basic rules.
If there will be a lecture on April 20, you want people to submit the applicatioin by April 10.)

I guess 2 is incorrect but I'm not sure about the reason. (2 was written by someone else.) Is that incorrect because using both "at least" and "no less than" is redundant or because it should be "not less than" instead of "no less than" here?

Thank you.

#2 is wrong because, as you suggest, both "at least" and "no less than" are used.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

2. Usually, the application should be submitted at least[STRIKE], no less than[/STRIKE] 10 days before the lecture day.

Thank you.

Either of these would work (with the deletion from 2), but I advise no. 2 (to avoid the [mistaken] attentions of pedants who spend their lives looking for 'less' and a number and claiming to have spotted 'a mistake' ;-))

b

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, but I don't understand the red part (because of my poor English skills). :-|

(to avoid the [mistaken] attentions of pedants who spend their lives looking for 'less' and a number and claiming to have spotted 'a mistake' ;-))

At first, I thought you meant the rule that a number should be used with "fewer", not "less". But "not less than 10 days" is correct, so...?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes and yes. When I said 'less and a number' I meant that people who misunderstand the rule use nearness as a criterion.

b

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I see. :)

Just to be sure...
"No less than" is wrong here even without "at least", isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.