Continuation of British imperialist desire to grow quislings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

It was a tweet of one of Indian politician! He is accusing someone by reference to what british did during their rule in India!

I think he means: The act of the person is the continuation of British desire to grow quislings! My doubt is, shouldn't it be "British's desire"?

Is it natural to use the word "continuation" despite the fact that British left 66 years ago?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It was a tweet of one of Indian politician! He is accusing someone by reference to what british did during their rule in India!

I think he means: The act of the person is the continuation of British desire to grow quislings! My doubt is, shouldn't it be "British's desire"?

Is it natural to use the word "continuation" despite the fact that British left 66 years ago?

It doesn't matter when the British left. If the politician feels that the desire which was felt during the times of the Empire is continuing, then he may say so.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
On that note, why doesn't Britain return all of the ancient Egyptian artefacts in the British Museum to Egypt? Since the fall of the empire, it looks more and more like armed robbery.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On that note, why doesn't Britain return all of the ancient Egyptian artefacts in the British Museum to Egypt? Since the fall of the empire, it looks more and more like armed robbery.
I don't know, but then I don't know why the descendants of the Europeans who stole Canada from its original inhabitants don't just give it back and go home.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If we're going to get onto the subject of people landing on continents/countries and wrestling them from the native population, this thread might get rather ugly. It no longer has anything to do with language so I'm closing it. The OP has made no further comment so I assume they consider the question answered.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It no longer has anything to do with language so I'm closing it. The OP has made no further comment so I assume they consider the question answered.
Spoilsport!

(You are right, of course.)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't know, but then I don't know why the descendants of the Europeans who stole Canada from its original inhabitants don't just give it back and go home.

I don't know why the decendants of the Saxons don't give Britain back to the Romano-British and go home, oh, wait a minute, perhaps the decendants of the Romans should....this could get ridiculous.;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hear that the dinosaurs might like their planet back.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I hear that the dinosaurs might like their planet back.
I don't think the prokaryotes are too happy about that!

(As well as our inflation-proof mega-salaries, company Merc and villa on Phuket, we moderators have the perk of being able to post in closed threads. It's a good thing we don't abuse the privilege. :lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.