• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

as much as she loves coffee

Does "as much as she loves coffee" mean "Though she loves coffee much" or "Like the extent of her loving coffee"?

do76)In 1732, the legendary composer Johann Sebastian Bach became involved in these "coffee wars" with his Coffee Cantata. It was a comical operetta about a traditional father and his modern coffee-drinking daughter. He tries to break her habit by telling her that sha has to choose between getting married and drinking coffee. Despite this threat, she sings "Ah, how sweet coffee tastes - lovelier than a thousand kisses, sweeter fat than muscatel. But as much as she loves coffee, the daughter does not want to go through life unmarried. However, she secretly explains to the men her father introduces that she won't marry anyone who tries to keep him away from coffee..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: as much as she loves coffee

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Does "as much as she loves coffee" mean "Though she loves coffee very much" or "Like the extent of her loving coffee"?

do76)In 1732, the legendary composer Johann Sebastian Bach became involved in these "coffee wars" with his Coffee Cantata. It was a comical operetta about a traditional father and his modern coffee-drinking daughter. He tries to break her habit by telling her that sha has to choose between getting married and drinking coffee. Despite this threat, she sings "Ah, how sweet coffee tastes - lovelier than a thousand kisses, sweeter fat than muscatel. But as much as she loves coffee, the daughter does not want to go through life unmarried. However, she secretly explains to the men her father introduces that she won't marry anyone who tries to keep him away from coffee..
    It has the first meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thanks a lot! I'm always grateful for your help.
    Why does it have to be "Though she loves coffee very much", not "Though she loves coffee much"? For the former, the original would be "as very much as she loves", I guess.
    Also, can "She loves tea as much as she loves coffee" and "As much as she loves coffee, she loves tea." have the same meaning? Or does the latter have dubious meanings?
    Last edited by keannu; 29-Mar-2013 at 01:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'm always grateful for your help.
    Why does it have to be "Though she loves coffee very much", not "Though she loves coffee much"? For the former, the original would be "as very much as she loves", I guess.
    Also, can "She loves tea as much as she loves coffee" and "As much as she loves coffee, she loves tea." have the same meaning? Or does the latter have dubious meanings?
    We simply don't say, "I like coffee much". You can say, "I like coffee very much"; "I like coffee a lot"; "I really love coffee" ...
    On the other hand, you can't say, "As very much as she likes coffee ..." This is a set phrase "... as much as ..."

No you can't say, "As much as she loves coffee, she loves tea" in place of "She loves tea as much as she loves coffee".
    You can say, "As much as she loves coffee, she loves tea even more." (This has a different meaning - your meaning 1.)

Mary: "Do you love me?"
    Tom: "Yes, I love you much!"
    Impossible. It's just not said.