Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is my first post on this forum, so I'd like to say hello to everyone!

I found this forum, while I was looking for tips and advices about writing motivational letters. I read many of threads posted here, and use advices posted there for my own letter. I am writing to apply to PhD programme and motivational letter is very important part of evaluation of projects, so I'd like to got the best letter I'd be glad if you could help me with improving my letter. I'd appreciate every help.

--
I am writing to apply to Institute Curie’s International PhD Program in team “X” headed by Y. Joining this team could be a great leap not only in my career, but also in my perception of science.

I chose Institute Curie for my PhD studies, because I would like to fulfil my science goals in excellent and conducive environment created by Marie Skłodowska-Curie ninety-two years ago. Everything I have done in my science career was driven by passion. Science, especially biology, was always my main interest. During the path to molecular biologist, I was eager to learn as much about surrounding world as possible. This concerned not only scientific theories and facts, but also the way of thinking and solving problems.

During my school years I attended many scientific contests, achieving good results among the best Polish students. My highest achievements were finals of National Biology Contests for Students held by Ministry of Education. When I entered the University I was awarded with scholarship for ten best students.

During my laboratory practice I have learned how to utilize my strengths of intelligence, curiosity, single-mindedness and perseverance to achieve research goals. Working in two laboratories gave me insight into diversified approaches to successful science. What is more, I gained an experience in research at pharmaceutical company A Ltd. Changing environment and subject of research, not only gave me opportunity to learn broader spectrum of laboratory techniques, but also confidence in working in different teams and on different subjects. I have learned how important and stimulating is to change working place and set new, more ambitious goals. Thus, I find possibility of working at Institute Curie a great opportunity and the most ambitious project in my career.

Alongside laboratory work, during my studies I was eager to contact other students and scientists to exchange knowledge, outlook and way of thinking. I actively participated in many conferences where I learned how to present research data in interesting, concise and elegant form. What is more, one of my posters won 1st jury’s prize. I was also a member of an organizing committee of student conferences held at university, as well as a festival popularizing science in Z. I am already first author of one paper and another one which is currently under review. I have also shared my passion for science by publishing an article in the oldest Polish popular science magazine.

I chose Immunology as a field of my research due to its complexity and challenges that follow it. Immunological system, along with the nervous system, is the only one to have potential to learn and remember. From all the phenomena of this complex system, I was always astonished by the amazing power of only two cells, whose interaction can change condition of the whole organism. Immunological synapse integrates efforts of few cell’s systems, like cytoskeleton, secretion pathways, cell-to-cell communication, etc., in one area of cell’s membrane to begin campaign against pathogens.

Team headed by X creates an excellent environment for studying this complex and complicated mechanism. After short visit in the laboratory I am reassured, that the whole team and Professor herself, would help to develop my skills and attitude for research and science, by providing me efficient and fruitful training at the very beginning of my scientific career. Additionally, large spectrum of seminars within Institute and with best scientist from around the world suit my passion for solving new problems and learning other ways of thinking. I deeply hope, that by my hard work I would be able to repay for the help of people form Institute Curie.

Given my record of high academic achievements and strong interest in your institute research, I am certain that, if given the opportunity, I will enjoy working in the X's team. Furthermore, due to the fact that immunology is a personal passion, I will do my best to exceed your expectations

Yours Faithfully,

---
Best wishes,
Kuba

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find it too short and there is not enough evidence you have done enough to show what research you have already done (being fascinated by the powerful potential of 'two cells' is on the right track, but it's far too little).

Graduate school admissions committees are not interested in kids who think they are writing to their dads, like begging a boon from a king, they prefer to see in these letters their younger equals. No nonsense, details of publications, research and research interests.

The closest thing to flattery they do like is when it is clear you know their whole faculty, and exactly what kind of research they are currently doing. Tell them about X and his team, and why you will be on it, but also say why you hope to take courses taught by M, N, O, P, Q, Y, and Z, not merely listing names, but demonstrating you know what they are specialized in.

Are you talking about the Curie Institute on 45, rue d'Ulm, in Paris?

KubaWinter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's short because it must fit one page.

You mention that there is too little about my research, but I've read that cover letter shouldn't be a copy of CV, where I put all dose information. Another part of full application is a project of my PhD research, so I don't know if there is a need of puuting those information?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Okay, send it in as is, maybe they will like it.

KubaWinter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Oh, I am still open for advices. If you found my answer not approporiate, please forgive me. I just want to explain why it is short and some informations are not inculded.

Status
Not open for further replies.