Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. In "Finders keepers, losers weepers," , "losers" seems to mean people who failed in finding something. So is this a common idiom?
2. "If you will" seems to mean "so to speak" here, but its orignial meaning would be "If you will (do something)", so do I have to tell the two depending on context?

st181)School hallways, lunchrooms, and playing fields have always served as real-life laboratories for students to observe moral events, make choices, and learn from the choices they and others make . Someone finds a wallet full of money and must decide what to do. In turn , this may set off ripples of further moral activity. Other students begin talking about what should be done. At least one child will say "Finders keepers, losers weepers," at least one other will challenge the slogan, and further argument will ensue. Such patterns of activity represent a miniature, if you will, "embryonic" version of the kinds of moral activity that occur on a more complex and sophisticated basis in larger society. Moreover, like the explicit instructional dimension of schooling, these patterns themselves become more complex and sophisticated as students pass from childhood through adolescence.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Finders keepers is common. The verb "are" is implied but omitted in both clauses, or a similar verb.

If you will is a direct copy of the French phrase "si vous voulez" and yes, it does mean "so to speak" because in French it means something very close to 'if you wish to allow me to use the expression in that unusual way.'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Losers" doesn't mean "people who failed to find something". It means "people who lost something". If I find a gold bracelet on the floor, I might use the idiom, meaning "I'm the person who found it so I can keep it. The person who lost it can continue to cry over its loss". Of course, I would actually hand in the bracelet to lost property or to the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.