• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

to stop victimizing themselves with stories of how

I can remember some Indian guru's advice that in order to make water evaporate, we should boil it at the boiling point for it to burst out, and in the same way, anger has to be expressed to make it go away. This passage seems to emphasize how important it is to express your anger, frustration, etc, to heal yourself instead of supressing them.
    Does the underlined mean "not to blame yourself but to objectively find out who hurt and who was hurt"?

st193)Healing begins with awareness and ends with change. It asks us to release the emotional hurts buried deep inside. We must give up our habits and comfort zones and renounce unhealthy behavior that compromises who we really are, even if that behavior makes us feel safe. Those who place more value on logic are asked to shift their perceptions and learn to embrace their emotional nature, even if that means having occasional outbursts. On the other hand, naturally expressive individuals are required to learn to deal objectively with their emotions and to stop victimizing themselves with stories of how they’ve been hurt. This method asks overly controlling people to let go of their need to be constantly in charge and allow other people to help them. And it requests that passive folks become actively involved in their health rather than allowing others to control what happens to them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: to stop victimizing themselves with stories of how

"On the other hand, naturally expressive individuals are required to learn to deal objectively with their emotions and to stop victimizing themselves with stories of how they’ve been hurt. "

This passage depends upon a tacit assumption, namely that people who are naturally expressive of their emotions victimize themselves with stories of how they've been hurt. No justification for this assumption is presented in the paragraph. Therefore it is impossible (at least for me) to guess what the author means. I find his tacit assumption unlikely to be universally, or even usually, true.

What is this book you are reading? It seem to contain a lot of muddy writing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: to stop victimizing themselves with stories of how

It's only a question of a workbook for college entrance exam. I don't know the original source of it. I can somehow guess or justify each sentence by remembering the guru's teaching, but not so clearly as you said. If this writing delivers such a muddy tone, I don't think this is a good writing worthy of students' learning.