• Native Language:
      • Marathi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Correct use of words

Hello Friends,
    Myself Vishal and working as an engineer. In India, there are two commenly used terms

viz. "Average" & "Mileage" to express the "Distance the vehicle can travel per liter fuel consumption."

My question is as far as the terminology is concern in strict sense which is the correct term- Average or
    Mileage. In India the word Average is quite commonplace compared to mileage. However according to my

perspective the word "Average" is quite wrong.
    Will anybody elaborate?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Correct use of words

Quote Originally Posted by Vishal Uttekar View Post
    Hello Friends,
    Myself Vishal and working as an engineer. In India, there are two commenly used terms

viz. "Average" & "Mileage" to express the "Distance the vehicle can travel per liter fuel consumption."

My question is as far as the terminology is concern in strict sense which is the correct term- Average or
    Mileage. In India the word Average is quite commonplace compared to mileage. However according to my

perspective the word "Average" is quite wrong.
    Will anybody elaborate?
    In countries that measure distance in kilometres, "kilometres per litre" is used to express the average distance that a vehicle will travel on one litre of fuel. In countries that use miles for distance measurement and gallons for volume, "miles per gallon" is used. I know that in India a mixture of both systems is used. Most of my Indian friends would typically ask "What is your car's average?" meaning the average distance that the vehicle will travel on one litre of fuel.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

As an NES but not a teacher, "mileage" in BrE tends to mean the "mileage between A and B".

That having been said, in your case, you could say something like "What's the [average/] mileage that you would get from your xyz car?" where, if omitted, the word "average" would be presumed.

Regards
    R21

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    IIn countries that measure distance in kilometres, "kilometres per litre" is used to express the average distance that a vehicle will travel on one litre of fuel.
    In those continental countries in which I have worked, it's litres per 100 kilometers. For people who use this system, the lower the figure the better. For people who use the mpg system, the higher the figure the better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I confess if someone said "What's your car's average?" I would not know what that meant.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I confess if someone said "What's your car's average?" I would not know what that meant.
    Nor would I. I would expect to be asked "What's the fuel consumption like on your car?", to which I would reply "Terrible! I get about 20 miles to the gallon". If someone asked me about my mileage I would think they meant either how many miles my car had done or how many miles I drive in a month/year.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

In Thailand, although most people drive on the same side of the road as the UK, we work in kms and litres
    My pickup's dashboard display reads 11.5 kms/litre (32.5 mpg) average over the whole time we've had it.
    R21
    PS: Here "in the sticks" people regularly drive in the wrong direction on the hard shoulder/motorbike lane - even at night!