A ladder which leads down - an access ladder or a descending ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again!

I would like to ask you what you call a ladder which leads/goes down. You can climb down such a ladder to reach a tank, for example.

Is it enough to say "an access ladder" or "a descending ladder" or something else?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would just call it an "access ladder". You can't refer to a ladder as "ascending" or "descending". A ladder goes in both directions. It just depends on whether you start at the top or the bottom!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: But people do just tack on down or up. Of course, any ladder goes two ways, but the way that leads away form the speaker's present position has more weight: 'there was a ladder up to the hayloft'; 'there was a ladder down to the cellar'. In careful speech one would probably say something like 'leading up/down to...', or just 'giving access to...' (with no direction specified).

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, agreed, but we wouldn't actually refer to the ladder which leads up ​to the hayloft as an "ascending ladder".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Indeed not - 'ascending' and 'descending' are just not on. But appending up or down* - usually after, but occasionally before the noun (as in Up the Down Staircase - is a useful trick.

b

* Other prepositions can sometimes be used in a similar way. A motorway exit can sometimes be an 'off ramp' (or am I getting that from US TV dramas?)

Status
Not open for further replies.