Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Gossip Girl, Mrs Waldorf went home and asked Blair, her daughter to be an intern in her office, but Blair turned it down. Mrs Waldorf said, " I have a monster of a day". Then she went upstairs.

Does "a monster of a day" mean a trying day with a lot of businesses?

Is is very usual expression?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Gossip Girl, Mrs Waldorf went home and asked Blair, her daughter, to be an intern in her office, but Blair turned [strike]it[/strike] her down. Mrs Waldorf said, "I have a monster of a day". Then she went upstairs.

Does "a monster of a day" mean a trying day with a lot of [strike]businesses[/strike] work?

Is it a very [strike]usual[/strike] common expression?

Thank you!

Yes, it means she has a very heavy day of work planned. Monsters are usually big and scary! Some days at work are like that. "A monster of a ..." is fairly common. I tend to associate it with phrases like "I have a monster of a headache" meaning "I have a very bad headache" but the usage you heard is OK.

Last edited:

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very indeed helpful, especially you kindly corrected my words. :up:

1. May I say I have a monster of an examination/ a weekend? Does it make sense?

Does "a monster of a day" mean a trying day with a lot of businesses?

Why did you remove "businesses" from this sentence? Is it redundant? Shall I still keep "of" there?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello [strike]Sir[/strike] (too formal and it excludes all the females on the site),

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very [strike]indeed[/strike] helpful, especially where you kindly corrected my words. :up:

1. May I say I have a monster of an examination/a weekend? Does it make sense?
In the right context, you could use both.

2. Why did you remove "businesses" from this sentence? Is it redundant? Shall I still keep "of" there?
Sorry, I deleted "businesses" but I forgot to add a different word. As you can see in post #2, I have now added the word "work". "Businesses" refers to "companies" or "organisations" and is inappropriate in this context.

Thank you!

See above.

Last edited:

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is very kind of you to help me out again. Thank you very much!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.