Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Please, would you take a look at these sentences and correct my mistakes.

1. His father was an alcoholic who died from cirrhosis, and the son was afraid that he was going to become an alcoholic himself.
2. Not a day went by that he did not think of his daughter who was fatally injured in a horrific traffic accident.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please, would you take a look at these sentences and correct my mistakes.

1. His father was an alcoholic who died from cirrhosis, and the son was afraid that he was going to become an alcoholic himself.
2. Not a day went by that he did not think of his daughter who had been fatally injured in a horrific traffic accident.

You could also use the past perfect in your first sentence: His father had been an alcoholic who died ...

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They're OK, but both sentences lend themselves to the use of the past perfect tense.

1. His father had been an alcoholic who died from cirrhosis, and he was afraid that he was going to become an alcoholic himself.
2. Not a day went by that he did not think of his daughter who had been fatally injured in a horrific traffic accident.​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow. I'm surprised by the previous two answers. I find the simple past perfectly fine in both.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes indeed. So do I.

I was only saying that the past perfect might be used. In the past I've said in this forum that the past perfect is dying out, only to meet resistance from one of my most esteemed colleagues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.