Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What could be a proper name for a course where students of a certain L1 are supposed to get prepared for the writing part of some exams? Would 'Exam Writing Course for L1 Speakers' cover the idea of dealing with L1 typical mistakes in writing? I would also appreciate a word or two about critical thinking in the name of the course (basically because the lack of it is one of the most common mistakes) but it's absolutely beyond me - whatever I could come up with lacked coherence and common sense. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

ps. I have to admit it sounds ironic, to say the least. The only excuse could be mental exhaustion due to staying up into early hours.:oops:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
How about something along the lines of "English L 1 - Think: Right first time".

Regards
R21

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How about something along the lines of "English L 1 - Think: Right first time".

Regards
R21
Dear R21,

Thanks for the hint. It somehow never occurred to me to bring punctuation into play. Good idea, indeed!
I'd also agree with you that a catchy title can be more motivating but I think I need to be more specific about "exams" and "writing".

:up:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
"Right" was intended as a play/pun on "write".
It's more longwinded but how about "English L1 exams - Think: Write right, first time!".

Regards
R21

PS: Or something including " right the write" or "write the right"?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Right" was intended as a play/pun on "write".
It's more longwinded but how about "English L1 exams - Think: Write right, first time!".

Regards
R21

PS: Or something including " right the write" or "write the right"?
I thought I was quite familiar with the 'write - right' pair but somehow failed to spot it in your phrase, probably because 'writing' and 'first time' don't collocate for me - just think about drafting, re-drafting, proofreading. Alternatively, 'think right' and ' first time' sounded quite promising imo.
Now, I am not quite sure I understood you correctly in the first place. Could 'think right first time' (the way it might be pronounced) be interpreted as 'begin with right (correct) thinking (planning)'? If so, then with the punctuation 'Think: Right first time', I'd explain it as 'think how to begin correctly/efficiently', which is not very different from the first interpretation but would lay greater emphasis on 'thinking (planing)'. Or, is it totally irrelevant?

Thanks for finding time to reply - I do appreciate it.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Once you are into the realms of puns/plays on words, the thing that I believe is most important is the perception by the reader.
Just a follow-on possibilty from a previous suggestion, how about "English L1 - Think and write the right way!"?

Regards
R21

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Absolutely, and if I failed to understand the pun, I don't believe those who require more training would.

I don't want to appear too fastidious but "English L1 - Think and write the right way!" seems a bit too straightforward. I'd rather favour the first one - "English L 1 - Think: Right first time" - it's much more thought-provoking, if I got it right. Probably, 'time' could be changed in into something else meaning 'good quality'. I have 'first class' in my head but it sounds a bit pompous.

I wonder if 'write right' could ever mean 'write correctly (grammatically or otherwise)' but not 'write what you are expected to write' - I'd like to believe we are trying to develop creativity.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.