Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

is it correct to use "not" with gerund while using the word "prefer" in the sentence?

please correct if it is not right.

I prefer not using my bicycle.

thanks

Shoreditch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
England
Hi,

is it correct to use "not" with gerund while using the word "prefer" in the sentence?

please correct if it is not right.

thanks

As no one has yet answered this question, I willl stick my neck out and give you an answer. Mind you, I am not a teacher and not a native. If you want to get an answer from a professional, which I not the least bit am, play the waiting game.

Your sentence is fine, not is used there in the correct manner. If I had to stake my life on the correct answer, this is what I would say, nothing daunted.
Sorry teachers, I know I should not answer questions, but I can't resist an occasional input. Forgive me for that. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Is it correct to use "not" with a gerund while using the word "prefer" in the sentence?

Please correct it if it is not right.

Thanks.

Please look at the corrections I have made to your post. Remember to capitalise the first word of every sentence.

Your sentence is fine. You can say "I prefer not using my bicycle" or "I prefer not to use my bicycle". Whilst there is the tiniest modicum of difference in feeling, to all intents and purposes they mean the same.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry teachers, I know I should not answer questions, but I can't resist an occasional input. Forgive me for that. Thanks.

You have nothing to apologise for, Shoreditch. You waited five and a half hours, you gave a good answer, and complied with the guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly.

There's nothing for us to forgive.

Rover
:cheers:

Shoreditch

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
England