Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What's a meaning of

honestly blind

the whole phrase is : With your good sense to be honestly blind to the follies and nonsense of others.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What's a meaning of

honestly blind

the whole phrase is : With your good sense to be honestly blind to the follies and nonsense of others.

Context would help.

Andrzej's

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Context would help.

below the larger context of "honestly blind". I'm still focusing on the meaning of it:

" Oh! you are a great deal too apt, you know, to like people in general. You never see a fault in anybody. All the world are good and agreeable in your eyes. I never heard you speak ill of a human being in your life."
" I would not wish to be hasty in censuring anyone; but I always speak what I think."
" I know you do; and it is that which makes the wonder. With your good sense, to be so honestly blind to the folies and nonsense of others! Affectation of candour is common enough - one meets with it everywhere. But to be candid without ostentation or design-to take the good of everybody's character and make it still better, and say nothing of the bad-belongs to you alone. And so you like this man's sisters, too, do you? Their manners are not equal to his."

Andrzej's

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks for your efforts.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not 'honestly blind'; it's '(honestly/genuinely really) blind-to-the-follies ...'.

Andrzej's

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
To be honestly blind to the faults, etcetera, of others is to genuinely not notice them.

I so happy to get this explanation. Now, I see that at first sight it could seem blindingly obvious. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.