Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Macau
Current Location
Macau
Many dictionaries say that "insofar as" means "to the extent that". But in some writing, "insofar as", when placed at the beginning of a clause, seems to be used as "given the extent to which that". Could that be a misusage?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, germux. :hi:

"given the extent to which that" is not natural English, so writers cannot really be meaning that. Can you give us an example of a sentence in which you think 'insofar as" is being misused?

Last edited by a moderator:

germux

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Macau
Current Location
Macau
Enhancing my question slightly:

First usage: [X] insofar as [Y]
Second usage: Insofar [A],

In the first usage, [X] happens to the extent defined by [Y]. Ideally for the second usage, it is that should happen to the extent defined by [A]. But sometimes in the second usage, it is [A] that happens to some undefined extent, and happens but is something unrelated to [A].

The following fits the second 'wrong' usage:

Insofar as all of the above are potentially real sources of unrest, Xi’s speech emphasized the problem-solving function of the party.

SOURCE: nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/11/22/dawn-of-a-new-china/dont-expect-big-changes-in-china

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Both "to the extent that" and its synonym "insofar as" are a frequent part of my everyday usage, although I do prefer "to the extent that."

Status
Not open for further replies.