Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When I went to an English leaning centre to pick up my child, I saw a parent showed his pick-up pass to the English tutor. Then the parent say "Chris, Please." (Chris is the name of his child. Please note that Chris is a false name).

I wonder if it is natural to say "please" after the child's name. Is it impolite to just say the children's name?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I went to an English learning centre to pick up my child, I saw a parent [strike]showed[/strike] show his pick-up pass to the English tutor. Then the parent [strike]say[/strike] "Chris, Please." (Chris is the name of his child. Please note that Chris is a false name.)

I wonder if it is natural to say "please" after the child's name. Is it impolite to just say the [strike]children's[/strike] child's name?

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the parent was saying "I am here to collect Chris. Please bring him to me/Please call for him to come out to me" or something similar. I'm not sure what a pick-up pass is, but I assume it's something to show the teacher that the adult has permission to collect that particular child.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm not sure what a pick-up pass is, but I assume it's something to show the teacher that the adult has permission to collect that particular child.

Thanks ems.

Yes, a pick-up pass is used to show the teacher that the adult has permission to collect that particular child.

Is it unnatural, if we just say the child's name?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks ems.

Yes, a pick-up pass is used to show the teacher that the adult has permission to collect that particular child.

Is it unnatural, if we just say the child's name?

Not unnatural, but it would seem a little abrupt (even rude) to just go up to the teacher and say "Chris".

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Not unnatural, but it would seem a little abrupt (even rude) to just go up to the teacher and say "Chris".

Thanks ems.

Other than "Chris, please", what else can we say if we go up to the teacher?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would expect something like "Hi, I'm here to pick up Chris".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I say, "Hello, I'm here for Frantek" when I pick up my honorary grandson from nursery school.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I would expect something like "Hi, I'm here to pick up Chris".

Hi ems and 5jj.

One thing I forgot to say. When the class finishes, the parents need to line up outside the classroom. Then the parents show their pick-up passes to the teacher one by one and say their children's name. When the teacher sees the pick-up passes, the teacher calls out the children's name. Then the children would come out.

In this case, do we need to say "Chris, please","Hi, I'm here to pick up Chris" or "Hello, I'm here for Frantek" when we show our pick-up passes to the teacher? Is it impolite to say "Chris" when we show our pick-up passes to the teacher . Please note there are around fifteen parents quening up to pick up their children.

I am very sorry to have wasted your precious time.

Thank you very much for your kindness.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What is considered polite will depend on the culture in which this is taking place. If I were in that situation, I would feel impolite if I did not greet the teacher in some way, however short (Hi) and say why I was there, even if in only two words (Chris, please).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why don't you stand at the back of the queue and listen carefully to how every other parent speaks to the teacher? That should give you a good idea of what the accepted way of speaking is.

Status
Not open for further replies.