Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
What do you call singing a song without its lyrics? I thought it was humming, but the definition of the word describes making a buzzing sound without opening your mouth.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I too used to think that "humming" was when you kept your lips closed, but others have told me that for them, it can include saying "la la la" or similar sounds along to the tune of the song.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I used to say 'If you don't know the words just "la, la" it.

Rover

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

wwwp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the replies! So, there is no word to describe "la-la-ing"? Could you say "singing a tune/melody" or "vocalizing the song"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ahem... a little problem there, methinks? ;-)

There is no problem. If you don't know the words [to the song], just la-la it [it = the song].

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the replies! So, there is no word to describe "la-la-ing"? Could you say "singing a tune/melody" or "vocalizing the song"?

No. Your suggestions do not make it clear that the words are not being sung. I would use "humming" if the mouth were closed and "la-la"ing if the words were being replaced with "la-las".

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
There is no problem. If you don't know the words [to the song], just la-la it [it = the song].

Indeed, but the (vital) context was missing. So all I said (or pretended to - context again) was "there might be a problem as Rover's wording stood. That's all. Funny intention included in my comment, too.

Anwar1973

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
Oman
Indeed, but the (vital) context was missing. So all I said (or pretended to - context again) was "there might be a problem as Rover's wording stood. That's all. Funny intention included in my comment, too.

I heard it from someone says it called (sounds words), I dont know (doubt) there is sound but without words

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is the term 'scat singing', but this is not just 'la-la'ing when you don't know the words. It's the creative use of vocal sounds in a musical context: Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong did it.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.