What does "No Streak" mean in " No Streak, but Another Win"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

No Streak, but Another Win
Heat recover from loss to Bulls
with Bosh-led victory over Spurs

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Context:

It doesn't make any sense to me, perhaps a fuller context would help.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It doesn't make any sense to me, perhaps a fuller context would help.

Here:

No streak, but another win
Updated: 2013-04-02 07:51
By Associated Press in San Antonio, Texas ( China Daily)

No streak, but another winUpdated: 2013-04-02 07:51
By Associated Press in San Antonio, Texas ( China Daily)
The Miami Heat's Chris Bosh (right) yells after scoring the winning basket during the second half of the team's game against the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday in San Antonio. Miami won, 88-86, with Bosh scoring 23 points as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Mario Chalmers all watched from the locker room due to various injuries. Darren Abate / Associated Press

Heat recover from loss to Bulls with Bosh-led victory over Spurs
Often the forgotten member of Miami's "Big Three," Chris Bosh stepped up with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade sitting out to get the Heat a big win and move closer to securing home-court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs.
Bosh scored 23 points, including the winning 3-pointer with 1.9 seconds remaining, and the Heat beat San Antonio 88-86 on Sunday night with James, Wade and Mario Chalmers watching from the locker room as they sat out with injuries.
"We are the defending champs no matter who we put out there," Bosh said. "We are still the Miami Heat. We believe in ourselves. Each one of these guys is a professional. We played bigger roles in other cities but we came together and accepted lesser roles to win a championship here. We can still tap into that."
Ray Allen added 14 points, Norris Cole had 13 and Mike Miller 12 for Miami (58-15), which swept the season series with San Antonio (55-18). By earning the head-to-head tiebreaker with San Antonio, the Heat have a four-game cushion with nine remaining for the league's best record.
Miami beat San Antonio 105-100 on Nov 29 when the Spurs opted to rest Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green. All but Ginobili (strained right hamstring) played on Sunday.
Duncan had 17 points and 12 rebounds and Kawhi Leonard added 17 points and 11 rebounds for the Spurs, who had a seven-game home winning streak snapped. Green and Parker added 12 points apiece and Stephen Jackson had 11.
Bosh finished 3 for 5 on 3s, including the final shot from straightaway in the closing seconds. He let out a loud yell after making the shot and celebrated with teammates when Parker's jumper bounced off the backboard as the buzzer sounded.
"He's a heck of a player, No 1, but he's also a hell of a shooter," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He knocked down a big shot. Timmy contested it and he hit a big shot to win the game. Give him credit."
The game was similar to their first meeting this season, when the Spurs' reserves nearly toppled the Heat. This time the reserves prevailed, however.
"There's no question, it's a gratifying win," Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said. "To come in and play against a great team, an elite team. We talked about coming in with Miami Heat pride. It doesn't matter who's in uniform or not, all of our guys have proven that it's the pride of the name on the jersey, on the front of the jersey."
James and Wade were surprise late scratches while Chalmers did not play Friday in New Orleans and was listed as day-to-day with a sprained right ankle.

(China Daily 04/02/2013 page24

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It still doesn't make sense to me.

(That doesn't mean I want any more context, thank you.)

Rover

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

(That doesn't mean I want any more context, thank you.)

Rover

Obviously a mess caused by Chinglish. :lol:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Context:

Hi,

See streak #5. THe Miami Heat (NBA) lost against the Chicago Bulls. At the following match, Chris Bosh led his team (Miami) to victory over the San Antonio Spurs. That is a change in luck (from loss to victory), but not a streak. A streak must include (good or bad) results from more than one match. I'm unsure as to whether two good (or bad) results in a row are already considered a streak, or if more need to be taken into account.

charliedeut

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

See streak #5. THe Miami Heat (NBA) lost against the Chicago Bulls. At the following match, Chris Bosh led his team (Miami) to victory over the San Antonio Spurs. That is a change in luck (from loss to victory), but not a streak. A streak must include (good or bad) results from more than one match. I'm unsure as to whether two good (or bad) results in a row are already considered a streak, or if more need to be taken into account.

charliedeut

Thanks.
#5 is: a short stretch or run, esp of good or bad luck

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
You're right, it just doesn't make sense.

In football/soccer, you can go on an unbeaten streak (or a winless streak) without actually winning (or losing) matches. For example, if you win, then draw, then win, then draw 4 times: you're on a 7 game unbeaten streak.

I agree with charliedust that you need more than 2 results to be on a streak.

I think the headline was just written poorly.

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Prior to losing to Chicago, Miami had won twenty-seven consecutive games -- approaching the NBA record of thirty-three. The subject of your article, Miami's win over San Antonio, was Miami's second win since the Chicago game. The headline apparently means that while Miami is no longer adding to their lengthy streak they did nonetheless achieve another victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.