Student or Learner
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi Teacher,

Please tell me if there is any alternative to "must have". In my understanding "must have" is only used for expressing expectation in past.
If the thing expected was less certain can I use "would have" instead.

Example- You must have practiced music regularly as a child. (Meaning- 'You' are expected to have practiced... )

Can the following sentence mean the same thing with less certainty.

You would have practiced music regularly as a child.

If it is not correct use, should we use "must have" even for the context with less certainty.

Thanks,
GentleBoy

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are some possible alternatives, but I like you must have`` best. To me it is the most idiomatic and natural. Examples:

Beyond doubt you practiced music regularly as a child.

It seems certain that you ...

The only explanation for your prowess is that you ...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Teacher,

Please tell me if there is any alternative to "must have". In my understanding "must have" is only used for expressing expectation in past.
If the thing expected was less certain can I use "would have" instead.

Example- You must have practiced music regularly as a child. (Meaning- 'You' are expected to have practiced... )

Can the following sentence mean the same thing with less certainty.

You would have practiced music regularly as a child.

If it is not correct use, should we use "must have" even for the context with less certainty.

Thanks,
GentleBoy
This can mean two things. 1) As a stipulation, for example as a requirement for entry to a prestigious music school. (Similar to your explanation, I think). 2) "You are so good, I assume that you practised regularly as a child".
Other examples of the same:
1) "You must have passed XY101 if you want to take XY201." - It is necessary for you to have passed.
2) "You must have passed XY101. You seem to know a lot!" - It is likely that you have passed.

GentleBoy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This can mean two things. 1) As a stipulation, for example as a requirement for entry to a prestigious music school. (Similar to your explanation, I think). 2) "You are so good, I assume that you practised regularly as a child".
Other examples of the same:
1) "You must have passed XY101 if you want to take XY201." - It is necessary for you to have passed.
2) "You must have passed XY101. You seem to know a lot!" - It is likely that you have passed.

I am sorry. I think my question got lost somewhere in the discussion.
Let me put it in a clear way.

I am considering the context as "some regular activity which is expected to have been done in the past" .
What I am wondering is when we use "must have" it represents certainty (if my understanding is correct).

If "certainty" is NOT our concern how should I form the following sentence.

You _________ have gone there many times.

Please consider my context and tell me how should I fill up this. What are the possible answers ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is almost impossible to put accurate degree of certainty on these constructions, because individual speakers use them in different ways.As some speakers do not use the whole range, the ones they do use cannot have exactly the same meaning as when those are used by somebody who does use the whole range.

My own personal view is:

He did/didn't do it. Fact.
He will have done / won't have done it. Certainty.
He must/can't have done it. Logical certainty.
He may / may not have done it. Possibility
He might /might not have done it. Lesser Possibility.
He could have done it = Similar to 'might have' or Potential ability at the time to do it

would / wouldn't have done it is, for me, less certain than 'will/won't' and more certain than 'may / may not'.

He couldn't have done it
expresses, for me, a greater possibility of the past non-doing than 'may not'.

GentleBoy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I have a doubt in understanding this sentence. Which of the following is the correct meaning of "You must have passed XY101" in this sentence.

You should have passed XY101.

OR

It is required to pass XY101.

What is the context here. The context is "In general" or "past".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have a doubt in understanding this sentence. Which of the following is the correct meaning of "You must have passed XY101" in this sentence.

You should have passed XY101.

OR

It is required to pass XY101.

What is the context here. The context is "In general" or "past".

In order to take XY201 it is necessary to have passed XY101.

Status
Not open for further replies.