Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ashiuhto is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,038

    period / colon

    In the underlined part of the following paragraphs, which punctuation mark is acceptable, a period or a colon?


    1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

    2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people:Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 13-Apr-2013 at 12:13. Reason: Deleting 'a' before 'typical'.

  2. #2
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,886

    Re: period / colon

    I'd use the version with the full stop.

    Note that a colon is not normally followed by a capital letter.

    Rover

  3. #3
    Route21's Avatar
    Route21 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    914

    Re: period / colon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Note that a colon is not normally followed by a capital letter.
    Rover
    ... letter or preceded by a space (?).

    R21

  4. #4
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,886

    Re: period / colon

    The OP didn't precede the colon by a space.

  5. #5
    Route21's Avatar
    Route21 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    914

    Re: period / colon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    The OP didn't precede the colon by a space.
    Oh? My copy reads:

    ".....typical of many people. Living a privileged...."
    ".....typical of many people : Living a privileged...."

    Regards
    R21

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: period / colon

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    In the underlined part of the following paragraphs, which punctuation mark is acceptable, a period or a colon?


    1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

    2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people:Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?
    A side note: A concern cannot be typical of many people. Their concern is typical of that of many people.

  7. #7
    Ashiuhto is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,038

    Re: period / colon

    I rewrote the sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

    1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

    2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people:living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: period / colon

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    I rewrote the sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

    1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

    2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people:living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?
    I wouldn't write it that way. First, the question at the end is awkward; it's not prepared for. You'd expect a statement. Second, you'd expect that Huang and Lee were living privileged and pampered lives until you got to the end, and re-read the sentence. I'd write:
    "Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people: isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic, given the privileged and pampered life they lead in a competitive environment governed by exams?"
    Last edited by Raymott; 14-Apr-2013 at 05:19. Reason: space after colon

  9. #9
    Route21's Avatar
    Route21 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    914

    Re: period / colon

    Would the following also work, grammatically:

    "Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern, typical of that of many people, is that the next generation is likely to be apathetic, given the privileged and pampered life they lead in a competitive environment governed by exams."

    Regards
    R21

  10. #10
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147

    Re: period / colon

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Note that a colon is not normally followed by a capital letter.
    I believe it's more used in some variants than BrE, where it is unusual/wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •