Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In the underlined part of the following paragraphs, which punctuation mark is acceptable, a period or a colon?

1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people:Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd use the version with the full stop.

Note that a colon is not normally followed by a capital letter.

Rover

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The OP didn't precede the colon by a space.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
The OP didn't precede the colon by a space.

Oh? My copy reads:

".....typical of many people. Living a privileged...."
".....typical of many people : Living a privileged...."

Regards
R21

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the underlined part of the following paragraphs, which punctuation mark is acceptable, a period or a colon?

1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of many people:Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?
A side note: A concern cannot be typical of many people. Their concern is typical of that of many people.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I rewrote the sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people:living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I rewrote the sentences as following. Are they acceptable?

1. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people. Living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?

2. Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people:living a privileged and pampered life, in a competitive environment governed by exams, isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic?
I wouldn't write it that way. First, the question at the end is awkward; it's not prepared for. You'd expect a statement. Second, you'd expect that Huang and Lee were living privileged and pampered lives until you got to the end, and re-read the sentence. I'd write:
"Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern is typical of that of many people: isn't the next generation likely to be apathetic, given the privileged and pampered life they lead in a competitive environment governed by exams?"

Last edited:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Would the following also work, grammatically:

"Huang Chun-ming and Lee Chia-tung's concern, typical of that of many people, is that the next generation is likely to be apathetic, given the privileged and pampered life they lead in a competitive environment governed by exams."

Regards
R21

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Note that a colon is not normally followed by a capital letter.

I believe it's more used in some variants than BrE, where it is unusual/wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.