• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Smile I overuse 'want'.

Hello everyone,

I guess it's a problem that face almost all English-as-a-second-language learners, and you might have figured out a solution for it.
    I actually use 'Want' too much, and I want to entirely stop using it. Would you tell they ways I could try to eliminate this problem?
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

re: I overuse 'want'.

Quote Originally Posted by saloom2 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I guess it's a problem that face almost all English-as-a-second-language learners, and you might have figured out a solution for it.
    I actually use 'Want' too much, and I want to entirely stop using it. Would you tell they ways I could try to eliminate this problem?
    Give us some example sentences where you use the word "want" too much and we will see if we can suggest some alternatives. Depending on the context, "would like" is a possible alternative.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

The word "intend" can replace "want" (What do you want/intend to do about this?), but a few example would really help us to solve your problem. By the way, I would advise against totally banning "want" from your vocabulary, you should just extend your arsenal with a few other alternatives. If the way you speak really matters to you, (and otherwise why would you ask something like that?) then boosting your vocab is the best you can do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

First off, thanks for the responses. Well, I have a serious problem with boosting my vocabulary; I actually don't know how to use the words I have learnt, but if I read them in a text, I clearly understand. I tried to fix this problem by using Cambridge Dictionary sentences to show me how to use them, but I found out it is does not cover all the ways, so what is the best solution in this case? (Like: I look forward to ving.)

PS: I don't mean phrasal verbs. I mean vocab. in general.
    I wish I had better English, but I work hard to improve it. I'm studying for IGCSE, so I'm only interested in BrE.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

First off, thanks for the responses. Well, I have a serious problem with boosting my vocabulary; I actually don't know how to use the words I have learnt, but if I read them in a text, I clearly understand. I tried to fix this problem by using Cambridge Dictionary sentences to show me how to use them, but I found out it is does not cover all the ways, so what is the best solution in this case? (Like: I look forward to ving.)

PS: I don't mean phrasal verbs. I mean vocab. in general.
    If you're reading quality material, you can simply use the vocabulary in similar contexts and it should be right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    If you're reading quality material
    what does it means?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you are reading pieces which are written in good quality English - probably written by native speakers who actually take care with English. Read the better-quality newspapers. Don't read pieces written in slang English etc. We frequently use the word "quality" when we mean "good/high quality".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

what does it means?
    I meant writing done by competent native speakers who care about their language, not necessarily fine literature.