• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

How to improve my English?

I have recently taken a CPE examination, and passed it with flying colours. For that matter, I know how to acquire new things and keep my English up to scratch. I read on a daily basis, goes without saying, and watch videos on TED as well. Is there anything else I could do to improve? Seeing that I have just now turned 17, going abroad is out of the question. I yearn for your ideas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to improve my English?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your exam result.

If you can't go abroad, I would try to immerse yourself in the English language as much as possible. In addition to watching TED videos, try to get as much English language TV and radio in as you can. There are plenty of English language radio stations available these days so whenever you're at home without the TV on, have the radio on in the background. Don't actively listen to it, just surround yourself with it all the time. Try to find a native English speaker to meet up with a couple of times a week for conversation. You might find someone there who wants to learn Hungarian so you could do a one-hour meet-up, with half an hour in English and half in Hungarian. You said you read "on a daily basis", but did you mean you just read something in English every day? If so, extend that to everything you read (if at all possible).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

First of all, thank you for your advice. This radio listening sounds useful, I will inevitably give it a try. As for the reading habits of mine, I read something each and every day for at least 2 hours. Regrettably, because of the school, I cannot read everything in English, but I do my best to maximize the time I spend with it.
    I have already thought of this mutual teaching thing that you mentioned, but I have no clue whatsoever about where to find a native speaker in need for Hungarian lessons.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bodogeri View Post
    First of all, thank you for your advice. This radio listening sounds useful, I will inevitably certainly give it a try. As for the my reading habits of mine, I read something each and every day for at least 2 hours. Regrettably, because of the school, I cannot read everything in English, but I do my best to maximize the time I spend with it.
    I have already thought of this mutual teaching thing that you mentioned, but I have no clue whatsoever about where to find a native speaker in need for of Hungarian lessons.
    I found listening to the radio invaluable when I moved to Spain. The useful thing about it, as I said, is that you don't have to actively listen to it. You can just have it on in the background and you gradually realise how much more you understand and how much extra vocabulary you are picking up.

As far as a language exchange is concerned, do you live anywhere near a big university? There are probably some native English speaking students there who might appreciate meeting up. You can probably post a message on their public notice board. Failing that, are there any local newspapers in which you can post an ad looking for a language partner?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bodogeri View Post
    I have recently taken a CPE examination, and passed it with flying colours. For that matter, I know how to acquire new things and keep my English up to scratch. I read on a daily basis, goes without saying, and watch videos on TED as well. Is there anything else I could do to improve? Seeing that I have just now turned 17, going abroad is out of the question. I yearn for your ideas.
    Speak to people with your ears and mouth, hours every week.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Both alternatives are possible. Thank you for your help and for the correction in terms of my language use. Really. Seldom do I find someone who can help in such things.

By the way, why did you change "need for" to "need of"? I just ask it for I use this word connection for a long time, and as far as I know, there are two ways to express something like that. It is either "in need for" or "in want of". Could you tell me why I use it incorrectly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I can't say why you used it incorrectly! What I can tell you is that we say "to be in need of something". We say "to feel the need for something". You might have got those two mixed up.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Thank you, now I can see. This rule just escaped my notice.