Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi!
I and my mom have been having a discussion on the meaning of the structure "to have a crush on somebody". I said it should be used in a situation in which it involves some sort of love between two people (it may not last for long... I don't care). My mom, on the other hand, saying that it also
had the same meaning as "to idolize" or "to worship" somebody.

That being said, my mom would say: "I have a crush on my mom" mean the same with "I idolize my mom".
me: I just don't think that sentence sounds fine....

We actually ended up with a bet.

So, what do you think? Does my mom win or do I get the prize.

One more thing, we tried looking it up in the Oxford 8 Advanced Learner's dictionary, I'm quoting the whole section of the word "crush" for you:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, 8th edition
verb

 verb forms
 word origin
 example bank

1 [ transitive ] ~ sb/sth to press or squeeze sth so hard that it is damaged or injured, or loses its shape The car was completely crushed under the truck.
They crush the olives with a heavy wooden press.
Several people were crushed to death in the accident.

2 [ transitive ] ~ sb/sth + adv./prep. to push or press sb/sth into a small space Over twenty prisoners were crushed into a small dark cell.

3 [ transitive ] ~ sth to break sth into small pieces or into a powder by pressing hard Add two cloves of crushed garlic.

4 [ transitive ,  intransitive ] ~ (sth) to become or make sth full of folds or lines
5 [ transitive ] ~ sb to use violent methods to defeat people who are opposing you put down , quash
The army was sent in to crush the rebellion.

6 ~ sb to destroy sb's confidence or happiness She felt completely crushed by the teacher's criticism.

noun
 word origin
 example bank

1 [ countable ,  usually singular ] a crowd of people pressed close together in a small space a big crush in the theatre bar
I couldn't find a way through the crush.

2 [ countable ] ~ (on sb) a strong feeling of love, that usually does not last very long, that a young person has for sb older a schoolgirl crush
I had a huge crush on her.

3 [ uncountable ] a drink made from fruit juice

© Oxford University Press, 2010
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom read it and she kept on arguing, saying the part "that a young person has for sb older" includes the meaning of "idolization".

Please help me.

Thank you!

triet96

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To have a "crush on someone" is an expression that means to have a romantic interest in that person, regardless of age difference, and the term would not be appropriate for an expression/feeling between a son/daughter and their parent.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To have a crush on somebody means to be in love with that person. But the expression also has connotations of immaturity. Teenagers are often said to have a crush on somebody, and the object of their affection may be completely inaccessible. Various generations of girls have had crushes on Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, and Justin Bieber. Of course teenagers may also have a crush on a real person close to them, not necessarily older. It might well be a person of similar age.

Once a person has reached full maturity, say early twenties, we would usually no longer refer to their affections as crushes.

triet96

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you ! I finally get my mom to agree that I'm the one who was right (she couldn't argue with native speakers :D). And now she has to buy me some new trainers - thanks to you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.