Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I saw this on Facebook, and wonder about the grammar. Shouldn't it be "Whom do you want to message?" Because in fact if this sentence weren't a question it would be "I want to message __", and therefore 'who' should be in the objective case, not the subjective.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Purists insist that only 'whom' is correct. In British English, few people would say 'whom'; A few more might write it, but not many. 'Who' is acceptable; indeed, it is more natural for most speakers of BrE.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think anyone who insisted on 'whom' there would splutter over their Corn Flakes at that use of 'message' too. ;-)

b

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
5jj's reply is probably even more correct in AmE than in BrE. Nobody, but nobody, ever says whom in North America. Once in a blue moon I think about saying whom, and then I double clutch and go "Whoa, what were you thinking?' ;-)

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Oooo! I haven't double de-clutched for a very, very long time! ;-) :)
R21

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I saw this on Facebook, and wonder about the grammar. Shouldn't it be "Whom do you want to message?" Because in fact if this sentence weren't a question it would be "I want to message __", and therefore 'who' should be in the objective case, not the subjective.

Computing takes a very relaxed approach to a number of grammar issues- forums not fora, etc. However, the who/whom distinction has been eroded to such an extent that it is impossible to say that this sentence is an error nowadays. In the most formal contexts, you could make a case for whom being preferable but Facebook is not such a context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
5jj's reply is probably even more correct in AmE than in BrE. Nobody, but nobody, ever says whom in North America.
That surprises me. When I was still training, not that long ago, I had several young American trainees who insisted that 'whom' was widely used. With one or two, I had to produce grammar books to prove that my claims about the acceptability of 'who' was not a crackpot idea of my own.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must disagree with Probus.
"Whom" is alive and well when it comes immediately after a preposition. It is certainly highly unlikely to show up as the first word in the subject sentence, though.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I must disagree with Probus.
"Whom" is alive and well when it comes immediately after a preposition. It is certainly highly unlikely to show up as the first word in the subject sentence, though.

That is also true in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.