Student or Learner
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
why this is so,
i am a good boy in tag question why we are writing aren't i?

plz justify why it is not , isn't i?

mkey

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Hello.

You'll have to try a bit harder and deliver your question more accurately.
As it is now, I'm not sure many will understand what is it you're asking. I surely don't :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Several verbs change the vowel in the contracted form of the negative: /kæn,kɑ:nt/, /æm, ɑ:nt/, / ʃæl, ʃɑ:nt/, /du:, dəʊnt/, /wɪl,wəʊnt/. It just so happens that /ɑ:nt/ is also the pronunciation of the negative form of form are, and the spelling aren't was used for both forms.

Please make some effort to use capital letters and punctuation correctly, and to avoid chatroom contractions such as 'plz'. The word is 'please'.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He seems to want to know why we say, "I'm a good boy, aren't I?" rather than "I am good boy, isn't I?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
He seems to want to know why we say, "I'm a good boy, aren't I?" rather than "I am good boy, isn't I?"
My response to that would be 'Why on earth should we?"

In the question tag, we almost always use part of the same verb as in the original, and in the same person. There are exceptions (such as those below), but there aren't many.

Let's go, shall we?
No one has applied, have they?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

If anything, I would expect the OP to think it should be "I am a good boy, amn't I?" However, as 5jj said, the tag questions don't always follow the expected pattern and just have to be learnt.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If anything, I would expect the OP to think it should be "I am a good boy, amn't I?" However, as 5jj said, the tag questions don't always follow the expected pattern and just have to be learnt.
Maybe if he comes back, he can explain why he didn't write, "plz justify why it is not , amn't i?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe if he comes back, he can explain why he didn't write, "plz justify why it is not , amn't i?"

I can see that he queried why it's not "isn't I", I simply meant that I would have expected him to think it should be "amn't I?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And was, if I remember rightly, still used by my grandmother from Wiltshire some forty years ago.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I can see that he queried why it's not "isn't I", I simply meant that I would have expected him to think it should be "amn't I?"

I'm sure I've said this before, but, I'm going to say it again. In Irish English "amn't I" is very commonly used, probably more than "aren't I".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sounds quite possible. I'm prettyy sure my grandfather used it - though he had nothing to do with Wiltshire; Scotland then Wales then London.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.