Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    azkad's Avatar
    azkad is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Uzbekistan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    176

    Smile Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    What are the differences between the sentences below:

    I have worked here for five years.
    I have been working here for five years.

    He has painted the room for five hours.
    He has been painting the room for five hours.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by azkad View Post
    What are the differences between the sentences below:

    I have worked here for five years.
    I have been working here for five years.

    He has painted the room for five hours.
    He has been painting the room for five hours.
    The third one is not natural.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,047

    Re: Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    I have worked here for five years.
    I have been working here for five years.
    There's not a great deal of difference to be honest, but if you're thinking of leaving, then the second might suggest that it's not permanent.
    Last edited by Tdol; 19-Apr-2013 at 15:42. Reason: pit's -> it's

  4. #4
    azkad's Avatar
    azkad is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Uzbekistan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    176

    Re: Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The third one is not natural.
    You have stressed out that the third sentence sounds unnatural.

    He has painted the room for five hours.

    Let's suppose, he started the action five hours ago and has just finished and is not going to go on with it. Can the sentence be considered as correct in this sense?

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    25,698

    Re: Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by azkad View Post
    You have stressed out that the third sentence sounds unnatural.

    He has painted the room for five hours.

    Let's suppose, he started the action five hours ago and has just finished and is not going to go on with it. Can the sentence be considered as correct in this sense?
    No. "He spent five hours painting the room" or "He has just spent five hours painting the room".

  6. #6
    azkad's Avatar
    azkad is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Uzbekistan
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    176

    Re: Present Perfect vs Present Perfect Continuous

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No. "He spent five hours painting the room" or "He has just spent five hours painting the room".
    Dear bhaisahab, thank you so much for your answer.
    However, still, I can't see the difference in the usage of the present perfect.
    Take another look at these sentences and please I kindly ask you to elucidate the grammar problem:

    He has lived in Spain for five years.
    He has spent five years living in Spain.

    He has painted the room for five hours.
    He has spent five hours painting the room.

    If latter in bold is incorrect, then what about the former sentence in bold?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •