then/that these noodles later became pasta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Doesn't "then" also work in the underlined? The answer is only "that", which I doubt.

L2-40p)However, it is commonly believed that noodles
originated from China because the earliest record about noodles were found in a book written during the Han Dynasty of China (206 B.C.-220 A.D.). It is also believedthat Marco Polo brought noodles from China to his home country, Italy, in the late 13th century and then/that these noodles later became pasta.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Doesn't "then" also work in the underlined? The answer is only "that", which I doubt.

originated from China because the earliest record about noodles were found in a book written during the Han Dynasty of China (206 B.C.-220 A.D.). It is also believedthat Marco Polo brought noodles from China to his home country, Italy, in the late 13th century and then/that these noodles later became pasta.
It could be written with "then" but the meaning would change. Using "that" here means that it was a fact that the noodles later became pasta. Using "then" means that noodles became pasta over a period of time. There is a subtle difference between the two.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I don't believe 'then' is right, because we already have 'later' as a temporal adverb. You want to say, "Then the noodles later became pasta"?
The sentence structure is "It is believed that A and that B". where "that B" is "that these noodles later became pasta".

Status
Not open for further replies.