• Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Hitchhiking

Good Afternoon,
    I was reading an article about Cuba-s Health system. At a certain point, I found this word that puzzled me in a sentence:
    " One neurosurgeon spoke of hitchhiking to work and operating on an empty stomach"
    What does " Hitchhiking" mean? I tried to look up the word, but I am not completely satisfied with the definition " to travel by obtaining free lifts in motor vehicles" . I believe that it has another meaning in the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Hitchhiking

I don't see another meaning here at all. He had to rely on getting rides from other people, probably strangers, to get to work.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

As an NES but not a teacher:
    Based on your quoted text, I would say that your dictionary definition appears to be the correct interpretation.

Regards
    R21

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It shows the poverty- the doctor had to hitch-hike to work because they couldn't afford public transport and didn't own a car, and had to operate without having breakfast-the empty stomach is the surgeon's.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Marianna Visconte View Post
    Good Afternoon,
    I was reading an article about Cuba-s Health system. At a certain point, I found this word that puzzled me in a sentence:
    " One neurosurgeon spoke of hitchhiking to work and operating on an empty stomach"
    What does " Hitchhiking" mean? I tried to look up the word, but I am not completely satisfied with the definition " to travel by obtaining free lifts in motor vehicles" . I believe that it has another meaning in the sentence.
    Not a teacher

I think you don't know about the use of "speak of something" and something here is "hitchhiking to work and operating on an empty stomach". If it's not what puzzled you, I'm sorry. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Marianna, instead of sending your thanks in a separate message, just click the Like button, please.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It shows the poverty- the doctor had to hitch-hike to work because they couldn't afford public transport and didn't own a car, and had to operate without having breakfast-the empty stomach is the surgeon's.
    I missed this at first - 'on an empty stomach' is an idiom. So 'operate' and 'on' are separate - as they wouldn't be in something like 'operate on a malignant tumour'.

b
    Last edited by BobK; 27-Apr-2013 at 17:49. Reason: Added last sentence