[Essay] humorous tune in informal writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I'm required to write humorous things in my informal writing, but actually I can't, so is there any way I can do it to be able to write in that way?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are required by whom to write funny things in your informal writing?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, my friend gave me papers containing examiner's response to previous exams. it's written that they like letters having humorous things and personalisation. Also, you told me once before that, to write good English, I should first write my ideas I have come up with in my native language, then write them in English. Actually, i can't write them that well in English. I don't face this problem in for-&-aganist articles , only in Informal letters because i don't read about the ideas the bring in the exam as there's no material on the internet to learn from. I would be grateful if you helped me. Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd be very surprised if the examiners were particularly thrilled if you started trying to be funny in your exams.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Example: The buffet was quite rich, and Manal decided to stick to her diet after the seventh helping.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I didn't say there was anything wrong with humorous statements. That one was vaguely amusing. However, I don't think the examiners are specifically looking for that kind of thing. I would concentrate on getting all the basics of your English right first, before trying to be a comedian.

Status
Not open for further replies.