How many letters are there in the English alphabet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Shouldn't we add apostrophe to this list. Apostrophe is a letter. It is not a punctuation mark at all. The Guardian says that apostrophe is a punctuation mark, and I quote ...

Later this month members of Mid Devon district council's cabinet will discuss formally banning the pesky little punctuation marks from its (no apostrophe needed) street signs, apparently to avoid "confusion".
The news of the Tory-controlled council's (apostrophe required) decision provoked howls of condemnation on Friday from champions of plain English, fans of grammar, and politicians. Even the government felt the need to join the campaign to save the apostrophe.
Outrage at local authority plans to abolish apostrophe | Society | The Guardian

I disagree with the Guardian and I would say that there are
twenty-seven letters in the English alphabet. Do you agree with me?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Shouldn't we add apostrophe to this list. Apostrophe is a letter. It is not a punctuation mark at all. The Guardian says that apostrophe is a punctuation mark, and I quote ...

I disagree with the Guardian and I would say that there are
twenty-seven letters in the English alphabet. Do you agree with me?

Thank you.

26. Apostrophe isn't a letter.
But I'm interested in your argument as to why it should be considered a letter. If it's based on street names, wouldn't you have to add the hyphen too?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. In English, the apostrophe is definitely a punctuation mark, not a letter of the alphabet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It indicates a missing letter, but that doesn't make it a letter, or it shows possession, and in some (often disputed) cases can indicate a plural. These don't add up to making it a letter in English to me.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well our OP is probably making an analogy with an Arabic letter, the hamzah al wazl (hamzah al-wasl 6) which looks like an apostrophe, is considered a letter, and doesn't do much but separate or cause a glottal stop. But I agree with the other teachers, apostrophe is not a letter, since it doesn't have a pronunciation, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.