Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hi,

She tried to convince herself that there was nothing to get afraid of.

The bold part is a noun clause, functioning as object of verb. But which verb? Is it 'try' or 'convince'?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

The bold part is a noun clause, functioning as object of verb. But which verb? Is it 'try' or 'convince'?

Thanks.

It's a poor sentence. "get" doesn't work there.

HifaMo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I am not interested in the sentence itself.

She tried to convince herself that everything was fine.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

HifaMo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
What does it mean to correct a small part of a sentence, neglecting the main interest of the thread?

I think it is immoral. Correcting a small error in a thread should be an addition. Are you playing on learner's feelings?

Being a teacher or native speaker of a language, that other people are learning, doesn't permit one to be disrespectful.
Please, delete my membership.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is very simple. Until the sentence is grammatically correct, there is no point trying to deal with any questions. Even though your question was about the part in bold, there was a glaring error in the second part which, in my opinion, should be fixed before we can deal with the whole thing as a grammatically correct sentence.

We are not playing on your feelings. This is what we do. We read a sentence. If it's wrong, we point out that there is an error. We wait for the learner to try to correct it. If it turns out that the learner is not able to correct it, then after a while, we correct it.

HifaMo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco

My question is clear, and can be answered without correcting that small mistake, which can be corrected in red in the quotation.

It's a poor sentence. "get" doesn't work there.

There is no need to say 'get doesn't work there' without answering the question, which is very disappointing.

I am no longer interested in that question, and I don't have more time to waste.
Everything is obvious.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I note that when you started this thread, you had already made 43 posts on the forum. During that time, I would have thought you would have noted how the forum works. Unless someone is a complete beginner, we rarely just hand out the answers. We also try to correct the small mistakes which appear in the posts by learners whose level is actually quite good. I would put you in that category. All your posts in this thread have shown a fairly high level of English. That's why we're not just giving out answers. You are at a level where, if we point out that there is a mistake, we encourage you to fix it yourself. The same goes for your original question. Which verb do you think it is, and why?

In the end, everyone's time was wasted in this thread. Had you simply changed "get" to the correct word and then shown that you had attempted to answer the question yourself, we probably would have got a lot further than this in the space of 8 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.