Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi all,
explain to me please, how should I interpret the sentence (some words are replaced to make the text more neutral):
"This can lead her into alternating between something1 and something2; If there is no resolution, as she may go back to something3."
I totally can't understand what "as" means in this case.
Is it "she may also go back to something3, if she can't decide between something1 and something2" or something different?
OR: "when she goes back to something3, it can lead her into alternating between something1 and something2"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid it doesn't make any sense to me. Did you change a word to "something" throughout this, or is that how it was written in the first place?

faisne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm afraid it doesn't make any sense to me. Did you change a word to "something" throughout this, or is that how it was written in the first place?

Yes, I replaced some words. I can show the original, I hope that this will make it clear, though I doubt it:

She spent most of her early life being a victim and being rescued, occasionally, by her mother or grand-mother. She probably still feels herself to be a victim of her daughter. This can lead her, briefly, into alternating between a persecutor and rescuing role; if there is no resolution, as she may go back to feeling victimized.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Unless I'm missing something particular to this context, I think "as" is an error and should be omitted.

faisne

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much for your answer, no wonder that I've been confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.