subject complement to infinitive or gerund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
While doing an exercise, I found that my grammar book says only verebing is correct after a be verb, such as

.. they found some things that make people more vulnerable to cating a cold. One negative influence is arguing. (not to argue)... another characteristis is being( not to be) a loner. ( from Top 20 Great grammar for great writier)

I am very confused because I was taught that I can use both to verb and verbing after a be verb, such as ..... is to argue......... is to be a loner. Am I wrong?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While doing an exercise, I found that my grammar book says only verebing is correct after a be verb, :-? such as

.. they found some things that make people more vulnerable to catcing a cold. One negative influence is arguing. (not to argue)... another characteristic is being( not to be) a loner. ( from Top 20 Great grammar for great writier)

I am very confused because I was taught that I can use both to verb and verbing after a be verb, such as ..... is to argue......... is to be a loner. Am I wrong?
I have no idea what 'Top 20 Great grammar for great writier' is talking about. If that is really the title, I'm inclined to think that the whole book can safely be ignored. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.