Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
FIrst of all, I am still learning this language.
I keep run into problems using "ed".I'm confused and do not know whether to use the basic verb,past participle or present tense.

I will give some example :

1. I agreed to go to Singapore with him. (Why we dont use present tense )
  2. This book may be used as a class text or for self-study. (Why we dont use basic verb)
  3. He is interested in being a chef. (Why we dont use present tense or basic verb)
  4. This product is formulated to all type of skin. (Why we dont use basic verb or present tense)

I hope someone can give explaination or clue about my problem ..

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agreed to go to Singapore with him. (Why we dont use present tense )

You are reporting an agreement that occurred in the past. Therefore you use the past tense. If you were reporting an agreement in the present you would use a present tense, e.g. I agree (or am agreeing) to go to Singapore with him.

This book may be used as a class text or for self-study. (Why we dont use basic verb)

I don't know what you mean by basic verb.

He is interested in being a chef. (Why we dont use present tense or basic verb)

That is the present tense: he is. Interested is a past participle functioning here as an adjective.

This product is formulated to all type of skin. (Why we dont use basic verb or present tense)

Same answer as the one above. But you can't say formulated to. It should be formulated for. Also all type is incorrect. The phrase is all types.

And by the way there is no such word as dont. It's don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.