He likes to walk in streets? Or He likes to walk on streets? Which one is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Each with million-hit supports in Google search.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Each with million-hit supports in Google search.
Neither is natural English. "He likes to walk along the street."

By the way, I get 0 Google hits for "He likes to walk in streets" and 1 hit for "He likes to walk on streets". What string are you actually searching for, and are you enclosing them in quotes? Are any of your hits from native English sites?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
AmE strongly tends to prefer on with street, and BrE in.

on the streets = in the streets
in the high street = on the main road

There's a huge number of natural usages that follow the above rule. But walk in/on streets is not natural. Your can walk in a street or on a street, but the plural does not work. And walk along a street is best.

Last edited:

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Neither is natural English. "He likes to walk along the street."

By the way, I get 0 Google hits for "He likes to walk in streets" and 1 hit for "He likes to walk on streets". What string are you actually searching for, and are you enclosing them in quotes? Are any of your hits from native English sites?

2,110,000 hits for "in streets"
4,150,000 hits for "on streets"

"Along the street" sounds like "along a particular street and no other street that he will walk in." But what the author wanted to express is that "he likes to walk along any street that his feet lead him."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
2,110,000 hits for "in streets"
4,150,000 hits for "on streets"

"Along the street" sounds like "along a particular street and no other street that he will walk in." But what the author wanted to express is that "he likes to walk along any street that his feet lead him."
Exactly. Please don't use Google to justify phrases you haven't even looked up! It's bad enough when people justify using phrases that they do find on Google simply because they are on Google.
Yes, "along the street" might sound like it means a particular street, but it doesn't.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Absolutely agree with Raymott. You will not find that google helps you to learn English.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Absolutely agree with Raymott. You will not find that google helps you to learn English.
I'd qualify that. You should be able to use it negatively, ie. the fact that "He likes to walk in streets" receives 0 hits means it might not be a good English phrase/sentence, but even that is not reliable. You can also start with a phrase like "in the streets", and then check good native English sites, such as .gov. edu. etc. where you're more likely to get good native English. But a pure positive count with no further research means nothing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's also the expression 'to walk the streets'.

'I spend hours walking the streets of an evening before going to bed'. [Just don't call me a streetwalker — that's a (rather dated) word for a prostitute.]

'Have you seen the old girl who walks the streets of London?' (Beatles)

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I also would use "walk the streets." He likes to walk the streets at night. Though it can imply a sense of aimlessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.