• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Greetings

Greetings,

I strolled in another forum, and found a Briton always starts his posts with "Greeting", and then, posted his questions as I did this time in my post here. However I would use "hi" or "hello" because I assume greetings sounds kinda pedantic as the other word -salute.

Am I wrong?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Greetings

There is no need for any salutation.

Just go ahead and ask your question.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would find "Greeting" very odd, though, from a native speaker. If it said "Greetings", it would at least be grammatically correct, if over-formal. However, as Rover said, there's no need to spend time on any salutation.

All we require here is a relevant thread title, a well-worded question (including context) and a little patience!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I would find "Greeting" very odd, though, from a native speaker.
    Well, some people do think I am a little odd . I often use 'Greetings' in informal emails and letters. I would not use it in a forum - I agree that here there is no need for any salutation.
    All we require here is a relevant thread title, a well-worded question (including context) and a little patience!
    We do appreciate requests rather than blunt demands such as "Make this sentence passive", and a 'please' or 'thank you' does not come amiss. Some people who post questions do not seem to realise that we who respond are actually human.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Well, some people do think I am a little odd . I often use 'Greetings' in informal emails and letters. I would not use it in a forum - I agree that here there is no need for any salutation. We do appreciate requests rather than blunt demands such as "Make this sentence passive", and a 'please' or 'thank you' does not come amiss. Some people who post questions do not seem to realise that we who respond are actually human.
    Yes, absolutely. "Please" and "thank you" make us happy volunteers!

I have no issue with "Greetings​", it's just "Greeting" that would be very odd.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you for all of the replies.

My question is the word -Greetings and its application.

I got it now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    However I would use "hi" or "hello" because I assume greetings sounds kinda pedantic as the other word -salute.
    - First, I find the salutation "Greetings" charming, not pedantic, and a nice alternative to "hi" and "hello"! But as others have said, not necessary here in the forum.

- Second, I just wanted to make sure you know that the slang word "kinda" is more correctly written "kind of".

- Third, I wanted to know if you are thinking that the word "salute" is a synonym for "greetings" - because in my experience the correct synonym would be salutations, a word that is defnitely more pedantic and old-fashioned. Salute now commonly refers to the action or hand motion soldiers use when greeting a superior officer.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Apr-2013 at 09:27.