[General] I want to say my dad let me go out quickly to catch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

How would I say in proper English "I was preparing my luggage to travel to Spain when my dad came early and let me get out too quickly to catch him, or he would leave me. So I forget almost everything"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can only guess at the meaning. Did your father make you leave earlier than you wanted because he was giving you a lift? If you had not gone with him when he arrived earlier than expected, would he have left without you?

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Exactly! He should have been earlier but he suddenly called telling me I must get out then if I wanted to go with him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He should have been there earlier" doesn't make sense with the rest of the context.

If you were expecting him at 2pm and he arrived at 1.45pm and said "You must come now if you want to come with me" it would make sense. If that was the case, then you were expecting him to come later​ than he did.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I haven't replied nor have I liked your post in order to find the word by myself, and luckily I pulled it off. I guess it should be "my dad hurried me up, or he would leave away without me"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.