Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korea, we have a very famous radio show that is the most popular one running at 2-4 pm. At the closing moment, one of the hosts always says "Have a sexy day!(more exactly, "Have sexy time for the rest of your day")", which sounds to us a little bit awakward, but funny and acceptable.
It's acceptable because the two hosts are very funny and popular comedians(gagmen), but I've always felt he is going too far in his comedy by saying "sexy", which is quite obscene, triggering imagining or doing some sexual behaviors in your day.
But today I realized in someone's answer to my thread containing "sexy diners or something", he may have meant "have a pleasant day or enjoy yourself" as "sexy" seems to have another meaning of "pleasant or enjoyable". What do you think? Do native speakers use "sexy" in that way?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In Korea, we have a very famous radio show that is the most popular one running at 2-4 pm. At the closing moment, one of the hosts always says "Have a sexy day!(more exactly, "Have sexy time for the rest of your day")", which sounds to us a little bit awakward, but funny and acceptable.
It's acceptable because the two hosts are very funny and popular comedians(gagmen), but I've always felt he is going too far in his comedy by saying "sexy", which is quite obscene, triggering imagining or doing some sexual behaviors in your day.
But today I realized in someone's answer to my thread containing "sexy diners or something", he may have meant "have a pleasant day or enjoy yourself" as "sexy" seems to have another meaning of "pleasant or enjoyable". What do you think? Do native speakers use "sexy" in that way?
It's used more to indicate a sophisticated place, or item. A car can be sexy, or, it can be "cool".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While I hardly find it obscene, I think it's a weird thing to say.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
3. interesting, exciting, or trendy
a sexy project
a sexy new car -BrE

2.Slang: Highly appealing or interesting; attractive:
"The recruiting brochures are getting sexier" (Jack R. Wentworth). - AME

sexy - definition of sexy by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Both of these meanings of "sexy" are used in American English as well, but in my opinion they don't apply to the statement, "Have a sexy time/day...!"

I agree with Barb that it's not obscene, but it does sound suggestive and 'sexualized' in a way that I personally would not like to hear on the radio - especially since I'm a high school teacher, and the idea of having a "sexy time" with my students is pretty disgusting, not to mention illegal!

So in answer to your question, no as a native speaker I personally wouldn't use it in this way...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If somebody wished me a sexy day, I would question their sanity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a feeling that it's just being used instead of "cool" and would probably only be used between two teenagers or people in their early twenties perhaps. It's definitely not obscene. "Sexy" shouldn't conjure up images of people actually having sex. People dress to feel/appear sexy. The clothes in the high-end fashion industry are designed to be sexy. It doesn't actually mean that wearing them will make people want to have sex with you, per se. It just means that wearing them will make you look really good, attractive, flatter your body shop etc.
Don't get too hung up on the fact that the word "sexy" has the word "sex" in it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Don't get too hung up on the fact that the word "sexy" has the word "sex" in it.
Quite, and others have given examples of the modern use of sexy in the appealing/attractive/interesting/sophisticated sense.

Young people may be using it in 'Have a sexy day', but I've not heard it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Quite, and others have given examples of the modern use of sexy in the appealing/attractive/interesting/sophisticated sense.

Young people may be using it in 'Have a sexy day', but I've not heard it.

I haven't heard it used that way either. However, I have heard it used applied to other things.

"I walked past ChoccyWoccyDoodah the other day. They have got a really sexy cake in the window." Here, "sexy" meant that it looked delicious, gorgeous, incredibly beautiful to look at.

"Have you seen the new iPhone? It's SO sexy!" Here, it means that it's beautifully designed, shiny, lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.