Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

Are there any such terms as 'luxurism' and 'luxurist', with the first one referring to a situation in which people are all into a luxurious life? How about 'a luxury-conscious society' or 'a luxury-orientated society'?

Thanks in advance!

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting question! The first thing that comes to my mind would be the expression "consumer society" or "consumer culture" (i.e., most Western societies) or "materialism" or to be "materialistic" (i.e. obsessed with or motivated by material things).

Many critics of Western culture say that modern culture is a "culture of instant gratification." While this expression may not be commonplace in every day language, it would be easily understood.

Best,
In Perfect English

Last edited:

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These are not very common words nowadays, so I looked them up and was quite surprised to find that they have been around since the 1800s!

Here's a definition from Webster's Online Dictionary:
Luxurist \Lux"u*rist\, noun. One given to luxury. [Obsolete]. (references)
Google shows only about 36,000 references to the word luxurism, many of them regarding a company in California, which also shows that not many people are using it.

But I can see no reason not to bring these words back - they clearly have much modern relevance! :cool:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi all,

Are there any such terms as 'luxurism' and 'luxurist', with the first one referring to a situation in which people are all into a luxurious life? How about 'a luxury-conscious society' or 'a luxury-orientated society'?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, the term appears to have been coined by a French author, Charles Fourier, and is at times used in English, though it is rare.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess the most common synonym would be 'affluent'. (Usage note: Avoid the typo 'effluent. ;-))

Incidentally, though luxurism and luxurist are rare, the verb 'luxuriate' is quite common. But you don't just luxuriate if you're living a 'life of luxury'; it's normal to give specifics - 'luxuriating in the silk sheets/warm shower/...'.

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would associate it with people who are materialistic, rather than affluent. To my ears, over here, the word affluent simply means that lots of stuff flows toward a person, without the person necessarily hoarding or worshiping it. Luxurism may have a connotation of gourmandise and egocentrism that affluent doesn't -- to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.