Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"That knowledge, researchers say, will help them learn more about premature labour, miscarriage, stillborn babies and why emergency caesarean births have risen by almost 50% in the last 30 years."

"
That knowledge, researchers say, will help them "to" learn more about premature labour, miscarriage, stillborn babies and why emergency caesarean births have risen by almost 50% in the last 30 years."

Which sentence is more correct?

Is it not necessary to use "to" in the first sentence? Why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"That knowledge, researchers say, will help them learn more about premature labour, miscarriage, stillborn babies and why emergency caesarean births have risen by almost 50% in the last 30 years."

"
That knowledge, researchers say, will help them "to" learn more about premature labour, miscarriage, stillborn babies and why emergency caesarean births have risen by almost 50% in the last 30 years."

"to" is optional with "help". I'd use it in a formal sentence like that one.
But, "Help me do my homework" = "Help me to do my homework." There's no difference in meaning and they're both correct.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

"

Why? Because. ;-) [=Because that's the way it is.]

In a long sentence like that - regardless of formality - I'd include the 'to', just to make it easier to construe. But it's not compulsory.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When I was at school, many years before most members were born, HELP had to be followed by a to- infinitive. The bare infinitive was regarded as a barbarous Americanism. (Actually, in those days, to use 'barbarous' and 'Americanism' together would have been considered tautologous). However, the AmE form has snuck (!) into BrE and HELP is now one of those rare verbs that can be followed by either a bare or a to- infinitive with exactly the same meaning.

shibli.aftab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Help is a verb that can be used with or without to and with or without an object before the infinitive. When we use it without an infinitive it sometimes sounds more informal. Compare the following:

• Could you help me to look for my car keys? I can't find them anywhere.

• Could you help me look for my car keys? I can't find them anywhere.

• Would you like to help to cook dinner tonight? It's late and I'm feeling tired.

• Would you like to help cook dinner tonight? It's late and I'm feeling tired.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was at school, many years before most members were born, HELP had to be followed by a to- infinitive. The bare infinitive was regarded as a barbarous Americanism. (Actually, in those days, to use 'barbarous' and 'Americanism' together would have been considered tautologous). However, the AmE form has snuck (!) into BrE and HELP is now one of those rare verbs that can be followed by either a bare or a to- infinitive with exactly the same meaning.

Are you sure it snuck? Maybe it dove in?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Help is a verb that can be used with or without to and with or without an object before the infinitive. When we use it without an infinitive it sometimes sounds more informal. Compare the following:

• Could you help me to look for my car keys? I can't find them anywhere.

• Could you help me look for my car keys? I can't find them anywhere.

• Would you like to help to cook dinner tonight? It's late and I'm feeling tired.

• Would you like to help cook dinner tonight? It's late and I'm feeling tired.

This is clearly a quotation from a grammar book, shibli.aftab.

Please state the source of the quotation.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm a burnt, learnt and even earnt man. They are all good old BrE forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.