[Idiom] What is the meaning of "Scares the hell out of the slopes" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi guys, Hope you are doing well. I really appreciate if you help me find the meaning of this sentence. Thank you in advance.

2.Some people were talking about music and these things then a man said: "I use Wagner, Scares the hell out of the slopes. My boys love it."
(I don't understand the meaning of bold part. Does it mean "Wagner's music is awesome?")

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi guys, Hope you are doing well. I really appreciate if you help me find the meaning of this sentence. Thank you in advance.

2.Some people were talking about music and these things then a man said: "I use Wagner, Scares the hell out of the slopes. My boys love it."
(I don't understand the meaning of bold part. Does it mean "Wagner's music is awesome?")

This is an offensive term. "Slopes" is a derogatory slang term referring to Asian people, based on the slope/slant of their eyes. I assume you're still watching Apocalypse Now, in which case it refers to the Vietnamese. The phrase literally means that playing Wagner (very loudly from the helicopter as happens several times in the film, if I remember rightly) really does actually terrify the Vietnamese, and the Americans love the music.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Hi elka, we still need context. I thought a few of us mentioned this last time, and we can't all read minds like ems.
So, could you give some context next time? There won't always be someone around who knows what you're talking about, so it's in all our interests.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is an offensive term. "Slopes" is a derogatory slang term referring to Asian people, based on the slope/slant of their eyes. I assume you're still watching Apocalypse Now, in which case it refers to the Vietnamese. The phrase literally means that playing Wagner (very loudly from the helicopter as happens several times in the film, if I remember rightly) really does actually terrify the Vietnamese, and the Americans love the music.

Thank you. Yeah, I'm still watching this movie as it's a bit difficult for me to understand. This answer fits well. Thank you.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi elka, we still need context. I thought a few of us mentioned this last time, and we can't all read minds like ems.
So, could you give some context next time? There won't always be someone around who knows what you're talking about, so it's in all our interests.

Hi. Sure I'll do. I'm sorry, I thought most of the people has watched this movie as it's kind of famous. I'm deeply sorry. I'll give more context next time.

And here, The Americans who are on the chopper were attacking Vietnamese and the colonel suddenly said: "Play the music in order to frighten the enemy and make it loud".
Then he mentioned this music is from Wagner and it "
Scares the hell out of the slopes".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. Sure I'll do. I'm sorry, I thought most of the people has watched this movie as it's kind of famous. I'm deeply sorry. I'll give more context next time.

And here, The Americans who are on the chopper were attacking Vietnamese and the colonel suddenly said: "Play the music in order to frighten the enemy and make it loud".
Then he mentioned this music is from Wagner and it "
Scares the hell out of the slopes".

Even if many of us have seen the film, we may have only seen it once and we're certainly not going to remember the context of one individual line of dialogue. In my case, I've only seen the first 45 minutes of it. Twice.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Even if many of us have seen the film, we may have only seen it once and we're certainly not going to remember the context of one individual line of dialogue. In my case, I've only seen the first 45 minutes of it. Twice.

I'll do it. Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I defy anyone to get through the second half without falling asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.