• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Is there anyone an Australia?

Hello,
    I've heard a friend of mine mentioning "camera ready" very often, and she explained that it was a kind of rehearsal e.g rehearse for academic presentation. She said it was used in Australia. I rarely heard this; I'm familiar with "mock up". Anyone can share idea?
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Is there anyone an Australia?

If I heard "We're camera ready" I'd assume that a scene had been rehearsed and set up. and the director was ready to start shooting.

Camera ready? Australian? would have been a better title for this thread. I thought it was asking about the question you used as the title.
    Last edited by 5jj; 02-May-2013 at 07:48.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by doingresearch View Post
    Hello,
    I've heard a friend of mine mentioning "camera ready" very often, and she explained that it was a kind of rehearsal e.g rehearse for academic presentation. She said it was used in Australia. I rarely heard this; I'm familiar with "mock up". Anyone can share idea?
    Thanks

I've never heard that term in Australia....And one of my friends is a photographer...(And I'm from Australia)

It sounds a lot like 'dress rehearsal'. Usually used to describe a 'trial run' of something, eg performance, presentation, display etc.
    I'm not a teacher yet, but I am studying a Bachelor of Education with an English Literature major at Charles Sturt University, in NSW, Australia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

This definition suggests that it is not a rehearsal, but simply being ready to go in front of the camera, go to press, be printed, etc:
    Camera-ready - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You can add ready to many word to suggest that something has been finalised and is good-to-go. I would use dress rehearsal like Haniballl.
    Last edited by Tdol; 02-May-2013 at 10:23. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Thank you for all answer, I have got a better idea about this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

"Camera ready" came originally from the world of printing in the 1960s or perhaps even earlier. Offset printing was done by a process that involved taking a photograph of the copy to be printed. The image was then transferred in negative to a metal plate that in turn served to transfer the image in ink to paper, huge continuous rolls of paper that were subsequently cut. This process was enormously more efficient than earlier methods of printing on cut sheets of paper. In my youth in the 1960s I worked briefly in this method of printing. The copy was "camera ready" when it was perfect, or at least as perfect as deemed necessary.

Since then the usage of the term has expanded, and the origin been forgotten, but the essential meaning has not changed.
    Last edited by probus; 02-May-2013 at 06:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

In the past, when a business bought advertising space in a magazine, for example, the fee that was charged could depend on what the advertiser supplied to the magazine. One method was to supply the magazine with the material needed to make up the advert (e.g. photographs, text, logo etc) and the magazine's layout artist would put the ad together. However, the business would be charged less if they supplied the magazine with artwork that was already assembled and could immediately go into the process that probus describes. This was called "camera-ready artwork".