• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

type1 or 2

Hi,

1- If we worked all night, we could finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.

2- If we work all night, we will/can finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.

Could you please tell me which one is more suitable to use, #1 or #2 ? (My opinion is the first one, but I can't figure out what if I used the second one because of the clause ''If we worked all night, we could finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.'')

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: type1 or 2

Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Hi,

1- If we worked all night, we could finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.

2- If we work all night, we will/can finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.

Could you please tell me which one is more suitable to use, #1 or #2 ? (My opinion is the first one, but I can't figure out what if I used the second one because of the clause ''If we worked all night, we could finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.'')

Thanks.
    If we worked all night, we could finish it in time, but we don't intend to work today.
    The part in red is not a natural addition to either sentence, both of which would be fine without it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Thanks for the answer, but I can't understand why you have said 'the part in red is not a natural addition to either sentence'. Is it because of 'today' or the verb 'intend'? If so, can you please add a natural addition to the sentence I can't make?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Thanks for the answer, but I can't understand why you have said 'the part in red is not a natural addition to either sentence'.
    Whether or not you intend to work today is not really relevant to your working all night.