Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello everyone,
Our school teacher taught us that the best way to show that you hadn't heard something or didn't understand what you were asked about was to say 'Pardon?'. A friend of mine argues that it's incorrect, and we'd better stick to 'Sorry?' if we don't grasp the message or fail to hear it properly. Could you tell me who is right? I heard both variants, but still don't know which of them is more typical in the given situation. What about 'I apologise/my apologies'. Is this expression more high-flown or official? Shall I use 'I apologise' after some misdeed or offence? Thanks for your help in advance!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Pardon" is correct and understood everywhere. Some people say "Sorry" when they haven't heard something clearly, but in my opinion this usage is less common, and it may be somewhat regional as well. Your teacher is right: you are better off sticking to "Pardon", or to be formal and a bit old-fashioned "I beg your pardon."

"I apologise/my apologies" are not used to ask someone to repeat something you haven't heard. You can use them to indicate that you are sorry for some misdeed or offence.

And lastly, you should say "Should I use ..." rather than "Shall I use ..."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Shall I use..." is fine in my opinion.

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you so much for clearing it up for me and correcting my question. Could you kindly explain to me the mistake? I guess 'should' is better as it implies a recommendation, though I used 'shall' simply as Future Indefinite, which is perhaps less natural in such situations. Am I right in my reasoning? Thanks again.

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I came up with one more phrase to ask somebody to repeat what they've said. In an old book by Eckersley Mr Priestley advises his students against using 'Pardon', and opts for 'What did you say?' Does our discussion prove that the language pragmatic situation has changed over the years and now 'Pardon' is far better? Sorry for splitting hairs, but this stuff has been bothering me for some months already. Thank you for your help.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You should be careful with What did you say? as we also use it when we're annoyed or shocked by what the other person said. I'd suggest using Pardon.

Shall is more used in British English than American English, where should has elbowed it out in many cases.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You should be careful with What did you say? as we also use it when we're annoyed or shocked by what the other person said. I'd suggest using Pardon.

Shall is more used in British English than American English, where should has elbowed it out in many cases.

I'd have to disagree with a few comments. From what I've witnessed, 'Sorry' is used more frequently. Usually followed by 'Could you please repeat that' or a similar variation such as 'what did you say'.

I'd honestly consider either 'pardon' or 'sorry'. I also believe it's largely dependent on the type of demographic. IE, from what I've heard, younger people are more likely to say 'sorry' than 'pardon'.

I also agree with 'Shall'. Its occurrence is growing less frequent.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sorry is fine- I was suggesting that What did you say? is not as good. :up:

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry is fine- I was suggesting that What did you say? is not as good. :up:

I still think 'what did you say' is perfectly fine. It all depends on the discourse used at the time. If you inflect any particular tone, anything may sound off.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I still think 'what did you say' is perfectly fine. It all depends on the discourse used at the time. If you inflect any particular tone, anything may sound off.
In BrE, 'pardon' and 'sorry' are far more common and natural than 'what did you say?' Things may be different in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you all so much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it and feel far more confident about these expressions now.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do none of you use "excuse me?"
Many of these are voice/action dependent. If you say "Excuse me!" with an air of annoyance, it has a different meaning than when you lean forward, cup your hand to your ear, and saying "Excuse me?" with a rising inflection.

I advise agains "What?" -- that's often considered rude, unless you are in a very noisy situation like a dance floor and any extra words are just not helping.

Also, "I"m sorry?" to mean "What did you say?" has a rising inflection that's completely different from the "I'm sorry" of accidentaly bumping into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.