Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone. I am a recent university graduate with a Masters degree in Journalism. I've been researching teaching English as a career opportunity in these tough economic times. I've stumbled upon so many websites advertising jobs, certificates, and whatever else. I'm not sure which organisations are credible and which are simply there to take my money.
Firstly, is a certificate a requirement, if so what's the best way to obtain one? I would like to teach in Europe – which certificate, if any, is preferable?
Secondly, where can I look for job opportunities? Specific websites, contacting embassies?

Some info about me – I'm currently living in Chicago, USA. I'm from Poland and am not a US citizen, but I finished high school here, as well as undergraduate and graduate schools.
I don't know anyone who's taught English abroad before, which is why I've registered on this forum, hoping to get some insight and help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, bartosz. :hi:
Firstly, is a certificate a requirement, if so what's the best way to obtain one? I would like to teach in Europe – which certificate, if any, is preferable?
It is possible to find a job without a teaching certificate, but most reputable schools will consider beginning teachers only if they have a recognised certificate. The most widely recognised are the Cambridge CELTA and the Trinity CertTESOL.
Secondly, where can I look for job opportunities? Specific websites, contacting embassies? .
There are many sites. I always used Welcome - TEFL.com

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would definitely go for CELTA or Trinity if you want to work in Europe- they are the most recognised everywhere, but there is a lot of competition for jobs in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.