[Vocabulary] What does "No Indication of Position" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walmint

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
What does "No Indication of Position" mean?
I found it in a legal document. Believe it or not, I googled and found no website using or referring to this phrase.

My guess is it means "in no position of making decision," no?

:-?:-?:-?:-?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The GPS gave me no indication of my position.
I attempted to initiate negotiations, be he gave me no indication of his initial position.

An indication of position is information about where something is currently, or to use a phrase I hate, where it is at.

It's very easy to believe that you googled it and found no help. Teaching English is still well beyond google's ability.

Walmint

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you.
So, if someone read a contract and response with "No Indication of Position," could it mean he/she doesn't understand what the contract is about?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No. It means he (and you) need better English-speaking lawyers. Or perhaps you should make your contract in Thai.

Last edited:

Walmint

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
No point, if the English speaking lawyers cannot explain to us what it means.

Here's the whole sentence.

If the expressions "no objections" or "no comments" are used, they will be taken to mean "agreement without comment" and "no indication of position", respectively.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

So, if someone read a contract and responds with "No Indication of Position," could it mean he/she doesn't understand what the contract is about?

I am certainly no expert on the language of contracts, but I would interpret this as using "position" in the sense of "point of view". So, "no indication of position" would mean that the person may understand the contract but has not expressed a point of view or an opinion on it.
Looking at the quote you give us:
no objections = the person agrees with the contract but makes no further comment.
no comment = the person gives no indication of whether he/she agrees with the contract or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.