Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #1

    bad vs badly

    1. I don’t like milk. It smells bad. ( (correct)
    2. I don’t like milk. It smells badly. (incorrect)

    Some verbs are used to join an adjective or noun complement to a subject. These verbs can be called ‘link verb’. Common examples: be, seem, appear, look, sound, smell, taste, feel, become, get. (Michael Swan)

    "Smell" is a link verb, therefore it should join an adjective. Am I correct?

    Thanks..
    Last edited by Winwin2011; 02-May-2013 at 11:16.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #2

    Re: bad vs badly

    I don't really see why you have to bring linking verbs into it (but I'm not the best teacher to ask about linking verbs). I think you're right, but wait for another teacher to confirm this. You are certainly right that 'He smells badly' is wrong - whereas 'He spells badly' would be right.

    This recalls the music hall joke:

    My dog's got no nose./How does he smell?/Terrible. [bou-boum, tish]

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #3

    Re: bad vs badly

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't really see why you have to bring linking verbs into it (but I'm not the best teacher to ask about linking verbs). I think you're right, but wait for another teacher to confirm this. You are certainly right that 'He smells badly' is wrong - whereas 'He spells badly' would be right.

    This recalls the music hall joke:

    My dog's got no nose./How does he smell?/Terrible. [bou-boum, tish]

    b

    Thanks, BobK.

    I think ‘smell bad’ refers to the quality of smell, and to the food. ‘Smell badly’ is an adverb, it refers to the ability of smelling. Am I correct?

    If a person is incapable of smelling anything, is it grammatically correct to say "He smells badly"? Can link verbs such as 'smell' join adjectives and adverbs?





    Last edited by Winwin2011; 02-May-2013 at 13:56.

  2. Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 1,458
    #4

    Re: bad vs badly

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    I think ‘smell bad’ refers to the quality of smell, and to the food. ‘Smell badly’ is an adverb, it refers to the ability of smelling. Am I correct?
    Yes, you are correct. Check out this article by Mignon Fogarty. Here's an excerpt from her article:

    If you want to describe your state, then “smell” is a linking verb. You could write “That smells bad.” Notice again how you can replace the linking verb with “is” and the sentence still works. “That smells bad” becomes “That is bad.”
    But if you want to describe the action of smelling, “smell” is an action verb. Maybe you have an old dog who can't smell anymore and doesn't find treats you hide for him. You could explain to a friend by saying “He smells badly.” Notice how that sentence doesn't work if you replace “smells” with “is.” You get “He is badly,” which doesn't make sense, so it confirms that you aren't dealing with a linking verb, so the adverb “badly” is the right choice.
    Last edited by Chicken Sandwich; 02-May-2013 at 14:19.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #5

    Re: bad vs badly

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    Yes, you are correct. Check out this article by Mignon Fogarty. Here's an excerpt from her article:
    Thanks, Chicken Sandwich.

    If we want to describe our state, then “smell” is a linking verb, therefore it joins an adjective. I think it is diffuclt to explain it to children aged 8-9. How do we explain to the children why "It smells bad" is correct"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,031
    #6

    Re: bad vs badly

    duplicated

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #7

    Re: bad vs badly

    Could you mime it with noses and armpits?

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: bad vs badly

    Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post

    Thanks, BobK.

    I think ‘smell bad’ refers to the quality of smell, and to the food. ‘Smell badly’ is an adverb, it refers to the ability of smelling. Am I correct? Yes, BUT...

    If a person is incapable of smelling anything, is it grammatically correct to say "He smells badly"? Can link verbs such as 'smell' join adjectives and adverbs?





    It would be correct, but very oddly expressed. Users normally use a noun: 'His sense of smell is very weak', or something like that.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] bad/badly
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2010, 17:49
  2. bad/badly
    By jkl in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2010, 20:29
  3. [Grammar] so bad or so badly
    By fuadha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2009, 14:41
  4. bad/badly
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2008, 00:59
  5. bad or badly
    By MsNyree in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2007, 20:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •