Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
(This is a substantially modified version of another question)

Assume that a director was attending a meeting, and a pitcher was in a baseball game in some inning:

1 "He got out of the meeting. (work)"
2 "The pitcher got out of the inning. (baseball)"

For sentence 1, does it mean that he completed the attendance of the meeting, or left the meeting before the end of the meeting? For sentence 2, does it mean that he completed the inning, or left before the end of the inning? It seems that when somebody 'gets out of' something, that something may or may not be finished.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I assume he didn't have to go.
2. Do you understand baseball? The pitcher got into some trouble in the inning. Maybe runners were on 2 or 3 bases, in scoring position. However, he managed to get three outs without a run scoring, so he got [out of trouble regarding] the inning.

comhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
For the first sentence, assume that he was in the meeting at the beginning. The question has also be slightly modified.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Okay, tell us what modification it needs.

comhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
The modifed portion is underlined.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can't tell. It doesn't seem a likely thing to say in that scenario.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To amplify on BarbD's first response: in areas other than baseball "to get out of something" means to avoid doing something you don't want to do. If he was in at the beginning, I think it simply means he left the meeting.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
(This is a substantially modified version of another question)

Assume that a director was attending a meeting, and a pitcher was in a baseball game in some inning:

1 "He got out of the meeting. (work)"
2 "The pitcher got out of the inning. (baseball)"

For sentence 1, does it mean that he completed the attendance of the meeting, or left the meeting before the end of the meeting? For sentence 2, does it mean that he completed the inning, or left before the end of the inning? It seems that when somebody 'gets out of' something, that something may or may not be finished.

To amplify on BarbD's first response: in areas other than baseball "to get out of something" means to avoid doing something you don't want to do. If he was in at the beginning, I think it simply means he left the meeting.

If that was the meaning, I'd say it's incorrect. The more natural way of saying it would just be 'he left the meeting.'

I'd say the meaning is, there was a meeting on, but he wasn't required to go so 'he got out of the meeting.'

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Interesting. I was thinking of things like "I got out of doing the dishes", which in AmE means I escaped from doing something I didn't want to do.

comhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Does anyone think that there is a substantial difference between "to get out of the meeting" and "to get out of attending a meeting"?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Did you mean "get out of attending a meeting"? If so, that was what I meant by getting out of doing the dishes. To me, "get out of a meeting" just means leave the meeting, and I agree with Haniballl that it is not a common expression. He left the meeting is much better,

comhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thanks probus! I do mean to write "get out of a meeting" and "get out of attending a meeting". So they are different. And "get out of a meeting" means "leave a meeting", so it is ambiguous as to the time of leaving of the meeting. And "get out of an inning" means more than just "leave an inning"?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

If somebody said to me, "I'm glad I got out of that meeting yesterday", I would assume they meant that they had managed to avoid the meeting. They got out of having to go to it.
If they meant that they had left it before it had finished, I would usually expect further information: e.g. "I'm glad I got out of that meeting yesterday before it became boring".

comhe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
How about,for a student, "he got out of class" and "he got out of attending class"? Are they the same too?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Clone of banned user.

Last edited:

emsr2d2